Would it be worth upping the memory in my old laptop to 4GB?

voiidwulf

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2012
I have a laptop with 3GB of RAM and I am wondering how much an additional GB would help. It would cost about $30 after shipping and whatnot. For like $60 I could get 8GB, but that seems really overkill considering the other specs.

It just has an AMD E-350 1.65 GHz w/ Radeon 6310 integrated graphics with a 320GB 5400RPM. I mostly just use it for school work at this point, but I'd still like a speed boost. Chrome takes a few seconds to open, which I don't know if it's because of the RAM or the HDD.

Would it be better to get a faster HDD? What kind of HDD/SSD would fit in it? Do laptops just use ordinary 2.5 inch drives? (I guess I can just check myself, lol.)

bak0n

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
not on an E350. I've tested it with 4GB and a Ramdisk, it does nearly nothing for it. Not even an SSD will help as it waits on the CPU way to often for things. I'd just save your money and look at getting a new lappy down the road.

Also going from 3gb to 4gb isn't going to give you much more than 5-15% increase in performance in some cases at best even if it does.