Would it just be better for me to get a pre-built Gaming PC?

mike2012

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2012
Hi, Mike2012. Recently, I got to into building my own PCs. But while building your own PC, costs less; I've realized a lot can go wrong. For instance, on my last build I got a spark when plugging the power in. Also, I've noticed if you're not extremely cautious, you can break parts.

And when a part or something does fail; you have to pay the money to replace it too.

So recently I've been asking myself; would it just be better for me to get a pre-built PC for gaming?

Pre-built gaming PCs might be a costlier. But I'm willing to spend a few more if I don't have to go through the hassle of building my own PC. Plus, I don't have to worry about Static damaging the mobo or anything.

So would it just be better for me to buy a pre-built gaming PC? Or should I just try to be more careful to avoid static next time?

I've seen some pretty decent pre-built gaming PC's with an R9 290x and a 4th gen i7 going for around $1500.

Pre-builts usually use cheaper parts, and typically you do not need to be that careful with components. The processor is important but the motherboard is really sturdy. Once you get past the $1000 it is almost always better to build yourself, but prebuilts can be nice in the fact you simply plug and play. Usualy the power supplies in pre-builts are very poor.

mike2012

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2012

Yes and that's what I was saying, you can just plug and play. You don't have to worry about accidentally damaging a part or getting a static shock for whatever reason. With building PC's if you make the slightest mistake; you might have to replace all the parts.

The way I see it's like:
$1000 custom PC = Cheaper, but I might accidentally cause a spark or some damage to the mobo.

$1500 pre-built PC = Cost more, but I don't have to worry about accidentally damaging the hardware.

Perhaps it may just be best to pay for the warranty on all my parts...

That way if I accidentally damage a part; I can just replace it for free.

I think you should buy pre-built. And nah, no need for a warranty, it's often cheaper to replace the part yourself.

Latest posts