[SOLVED] Would it make sense to add a graphics card to a amd ryzen 5 3400g? Which one?

Apr 5, 2021
Hello! I hope you are all well.
I know very little about building PCs but tried to do it by myself over the last year :).
Ended up with this pc:

Motherboard Gigabyte a320m-s2h
APU amd ryzen 5 3400g
RAM: 1 stick x 8gb 2400mhz lt. 17
1 stick x 16 gb 2666mhz lt 19
SSD 120 Gb Wd Green M.2 M2

I know it's not ideal, I've seen that many of the games that I play are not working greatly because of the GPU. So I'm considering adding a dedicated GPU

Does this make any sense to you?
What gpu could i add?

I live in Uruguay not in America so I can't buy all the GPUs out there, but there's a large number that you can buy. I'd be very thankful for any help and information. Hope you stay well

Solution
If you are gaming, it makes a lot of sense to use a discrete gpu. A cpu is limited to just a few cores, the igpu has multiple cores but a discrete gpu has thousands of cores that work in parallel. There's simply no comparison.

Your current Vega graphics in that 3400G go head to head with a GT1030. So anything considered an upgrade will be on the level of a 1060/570 or higher. Which are realistically not very available anywhere except at scalper pricing.

You'd be looking at U$S 600-800 for a gtx 1660ti in MercadoLibre

4745454b

Titan
What power supply, psu, are you using? What gpu you can use will depend on which psu you have.

It does make sense to add the card. As you found out the 3400G isn't a great gaming card, at least at 1080. Over here in the usa the prices for gpus aren't very good so you might need to wait until prices go down. If they ever do.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
If you are gaming, it makes a lot of sense to use a discrete gpu. A cpu is limited to just a few cores, the igpu has multiple cores but a discrete gpu has thousands of cores that work in parallel. There's simply no comparison.

Your current Vega graphics in that 3400G go head to head with a GT1030. So anything considered an upgrade will be on the level of a 1060/570 or higher. Which are realistically not very available anywhere except at scalper pricing.

You'd be looking at U$S 600-800 for a gtx 1660ti in MercadoLibre

Solution

TRENDING THREADS