[SOLVED] Would like some advice with my RAM upgrade.

Dec 21, 2020
Hi, you all! I'm new here and, so far, I love this place. I usually find good advice.
Basically, I'm adding more ram to my laptop Dell Inspiron 15 7567 which came with an SK Hynix HMA81GS6AFR8N-UH .
Due to my market limitations, I can't find the same model, but I did find some good alternatives... Or at least I think so. I know that when mixing rams you have to consider some details, but I think I did it good :D.
From what I can tell, Speed, DDR version, CAS, both (my actual ram model and the one I found) seems to be compatible, but since it's the first time I'm adding ram I would like to see if you think the same or if there are some other variables to consider. Plus, from what I could find on google mixing Sdram and dram it's okay because SDRAM it's a type of dram but, is this correct?

Crucial CT8G4SFS824A: https://www.crucial.com/memory/ddr4/ct8g4sfs824a
My current SK Hynix: https://www.skhynix.com/eolproducts.view.do?pronm=DDR4+SDRAM&srnm=HMA81GS6AFR8N&rk=30&rc=module View: https://imgur.com/a/2oFowj9
(here is the info of my model's CAS, so you don't have to dig on the pdf)
Well, thanks! And have a nice day.

Solution
You really need to look at:
  • Format: DIMM or SO-DIMM. On laptops it's always SO-DIMM so you're OK
  • Type: all RAM sticks on consumer products these past 15 years are SDRAM. You only need to make sure of the generation. Right now it's DDR4. You're OK too.
  • Capacity: if you add a stick to a single stick system, you must look into using the same capacity as it enables dual channel in all situations. If you don't, it's no big deal but you are saying goodbye to free performance.
  • Speed: by default a system will default to the fastest speed supported by the slowest module. Note that a speed has to be specified in the module's XMP table otherwise it will default to the maximum standard speed - for DDR4 it's 2133. So you must choose...
You really need to look at:
  • Format: DIMM or SO-DIMM. On laptops it's always SO-DIMM so you're OK
  • Type: all RAM sticks on consumer products these past 15 years are SDRAM. You only need to make sure of the generation. Right now it's DDR4. You're OK too.
  • Capacity: if you add a stick to a single stick system, you must look into using the same capacity as it enables dual channel in all situations. If you don't, it's no big deal but you are saying goodbye to free performance.
  • Speed: by default a system will default to the fastest speed supported by the slowest module. Note that a speed has to be specified in the module's XMP table otherwise it will default to the maximum standard speed - for DDR4 it's 2133. So you must choose a stick with the same speed otherwise you'll lose some performance.
  • Timings: your computer will automatically set the lowest settings supported by both sticks. You might lose a percent in performance if the new stick is slightly slower than the old one (it's nothing when compared with the gains from dual channel)
  • Other features: single rank or dual rank, ECC, registered... Match the ones your module advertises. If it's not specified, then the module doesn't have it.
My take: yeah, the crucial stick you're looking at should be good.

Solution
Go to the crucial ram upgrade app.
Enter the make/model of your laptop.
You will get a list of crucial supported upgrades.
Buy one of those if you can.
Or do the similar thing with kingston.
If there are any issues you will get support,
If such a stick is not available, use cpu-Z to see what ram you already have installed.
Duplicate that as close as you can to the specs.

Reactions: iguanachu