Would like thoughts on my mini-ITX HTPC/Arcade build

TDoubleE

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
I am in the process of purchasing the parts for a build I have been dying to do for a while now. I am fairly confident in my part selection, but I would like to hear from any who would like to comment on their thoughts on anything I should adjust, tweak, or just how they feel about this build in general. Not looking for any specific answers, just need fresh eyes on something I have been staring at for a while now. It is all based on using the Fractal Design Node 202 case, so that will not be changing. But I am open to replacement suggestions on any other pieces. I am really happy with where I am at currently. Edit: I should mention, I am also building this to be my Oculus Rift system, when the time comes, so that is a requirement*

I will list out the parts in more detail below, but here is the link to the current state of the build:
PrinceRecluse's (that's me) Arcadius build breakdown on PCPartPicker

Approximate Purchase Date: Pieces per paycheck over the next month or so.

Budget Range: Dynamic based on needs. I buy what I can each paycheck until all pieces are purchased. But nothing insane. Just high-end.

System Usage from Most to Least Important:
1. Gaming (from old arcade and emulation, to brand new AAA games) using Steam, emulators, Origin, GoG, etc.. Also, mobility, so I can just pick this thing up like a console and take it over to a friend's house to LAN/Game. NEEDS TO BE OCULUS RIFT READY*
2. HTPC movie and media viewing (System will most likely boot into Kodi front-end, using Aeon Nox skin). Would like to go 4K eventually but currently don't have the screens for that. Will mainly be on a 120" projector screen at 1080p most likely. Media both locally on machine as well as streamed from LAN and Internet based.
3. Streaming gaming and webcam video, via Twitch, etc.
4. Fairly heavy Photoshop work with lite video editing.
5. Day to day productivity and entertainment use. Web browsing, maybe some MS Office use.

Are you buying a monitor:
Not currently. At least not "as part of the build." But I would like to ensure the build is ready when I decide to go in on 3 curved widescreen hi-res monitors. Some day. ... not soon though.

Parts to Upgrade: All parts are new. Some have already been purchased. Feel free to comment on any part, as I will take all the information I can get.

Do you need to buy OS: Most likely. Planning on it. Although I am sure I probably have a Windows 7 key lying around that I could use for my Windows 10 install. But for now, let's go with yes.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts:
Newegg.com, Amazon.com, I am willing to branch out, but if it is not a well known retailer, I will most likely stay away and pay the minimal price difference.

Parts Preferences:
I prefer Intel for CPU, nVidia for GPU (though AMD is acceptable, I have had issues with my last 2 AMDs), G. Skill for RAM, PSU only preference is modular (but having to be SFX limits options), I am open to all opinions if there is logical backup to it though.

Overclocking: Perhaps, but in this cramped of a case with no options for watercooling, if any, it won't be much.

SLI or Crossfire: No. Not against it, just not an option in this build.

Your Monitor Resolution: Most probable current day-to-day usage? 1920x1080. on 2 screens, a 120" projector screen as well as a basic monitor. But would like to get as high as possible within the capabilities of this small build (4K?)

Additional Comments:
The limitations of this build will really be in the size and that fact that it is mini-ITX. I essentially would like to have the most powerful machine I can get within this limited space. I originally had planned on an ASUS 980ti STRIX, but there was talk of thermal throttling in this case. So decided to go with a Blower style card to attempt better temps for better performance. But as far as this build is concerned, Top-priority is performance followed by price. Although I am not spending $1000+ for any individual piece, GPU included. Other than that, though, if it will work in this build and increase performance, then I will make the price work. Would like it to be as quiet as possible, being an HTPC, but not at the cost of performance.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Long story short, I have been itching for another build for a while now, and have been wanting to do an HTPC form factor build that was a powerhouse. I recently purchased an X-Arcade Tankstick, so that was the bump I needed to create a family computer for gaming and more. I have 2 other computers that are more than capable, but they are towers and I wanted something that doesn't really feel like a computer, more like a console, that would be right at home in the entertainment center of a theater room, without sacrificing too much performance.

Edit: Because Oculus Rift

BREAKDOWN

CASE: This will not be changing. This is what the entire build is built around.
Fractal Design Node 202

PSU: Must be SFX form factor. Modular personally required.
SilverStone 600W 90+ Gold Fully-Modular SFX PSU

CPU: Want latest and greatest, cause ... why not?
Intel Core i7-6700K

CPU COOLER: Low clearance.
Noctua NH-L9i

MOBO: Heard good things, for a mini-ITX board. Come with WiFi adapter too.
ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming-ITX/ac motherboard

RAM: Looking for as much RAM as I can get, that the board will allow.
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 SDRAM 3200 (PC4 25600) RAM

VIDEO CARD: Going with blower style card, because fan style will keep too much heat in small case, and there is no room for a liquid cooled block.
EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB SC Gaming Video Card

OS AND PROGRAM MAIN STORAGE: M.2 performance for Operating System and main programs, with a little room to grow.
Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD

GAME AND MEDIA STORAGE: The case only supports 2x 2.5" SSDs. Need to get as much storage capacity, at highest speeds, within those constraints. I will be getting 2 of these.
Samsung 850 EVO 2TB SSD

CASE FANS: The case has space for 2 thin 120mm fans directly below the Video Card. I purchased 2 of these, with rubber pads for each to reduce noise/vibrations.
Scythe Slip Stream SY1212SL12H 2000rpm 120mm Slim Case Fan

OPERATING SYSTEM: I will be using Windows 10 as the main OS, but will most likely mod to boot directly into Kodi.
Do you really need a link for Windows 10?

... And that is about it. The peripherals on the list are not definite (and not really needed). I look forward to hearing what you have to say about this build. I am excited about it. Should be a powerhouse, in a tiny package.

Thanks for your time.

TDoubleE

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
Thanks for your input!

I know I could get a higher capacity 2.5" HDD, or at least a cheaper one, but for being the main storage for my games and things, I really wanted the performance increase (small as it may be) here. For the 2nd drive, (media storage) I could consider it. It will most likely come down to whether or not the price to buy those (those will be last items purchased due to possible price drops, and not being absolute necessity components) fits my budget when I am ready to complete this build. If things are tight and those are the only things left to buy, then I may just give up and go a cheaper route. But if I can afford those 2.5 SSDs, or I see a great sale on them, then I am willing to bite that bullet.

The 950 Pro is the m.2 which will be for my OS and Programs. Barely any actual file storage on that. Need best performance possible for boot speed and program start-ups. My debate here is whether or not I need the 512GB, or I can cut the price in half by getting the 256GB. OS will take up about 30+/-. Then there is things like Photoshop, Steam, Kodi, Office, etc. I have no intention of letting anything on this drive that is not a needed program. Will be defaulting downloads and such to a 2.5" SSD. I think I should be fine with 256GB, but the whole future-proofing concern keeps me second guessing. I will probably just end up with the 256GB at like $180+/-. (Sorry, started just thinking out loud here.)

TDoubleE

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011

Yeah, I think you are right. Will probably just go with the 500GB 850 EVO, rather than compromising space with a 256GB 950 PRO. I won't really have any games on it (they will be dedicated to one of the 2TB 850 EVO SSDs), but it will house the programs that are needed to access those games like Steam, EmulationStation, Kodi, etc. I would rather have a nearly unnoticeable hit to performance, than constantly be wondering if I need to clear space on my C: drive. Peace of mind is worth a couple milliseconds. Besides, now all my drives will match (all being 850 EVOs, in m.2 and SSD).

Once again, Thanks for the input. You're why I came here. ;)

bigjimmy

Commendable
Feb 18, 2016
hi there, I just saw your post,
I am building a similar gig myself, but not as fancy as your.
you can check out my build here:
http://pcpartpicker.com/user/bigjimmy/saved/xN6G3C

I am tempted to go with 980 or even 980ti, but it's over kill for me, plus I've read review regarding graphic card having high temperature in Node 202, so I suggest you might look more into that.

if you don't plan to over clock your CPU, recommend to use 6700 instead of 6700K, it's still the greatest and newest without OC capability.

i would just go with 256gb if that's your os drive, unless you have loads of games, I think that would be sufficient, I am using 512gb because I plan to use dual boot,using 128gb for Windows(64gb if i could, lol), and the rest for Mac.

as for the 850 Evo 2TB, unless you want to use RAID configuration, I suggest you buy the second drive later, as SSD price will drop in general, there's no need to buy them now unless you have the need for the storage or RAID, and I might suggest getting the 850 Pro (not sure if they come in 2TB tho) as the performance and reliability is higher.