Question Would like to find a new Photo Screensaver for win 10 machine

Apr 18, 2020
I keep getting the little icon that looks like a mountain in the foreground with clouds when I am using my WIn 10 screensaver showing some of the 40,000 or so pictures I have on it. It just shows up as a little square in the middle of my screen-- to often for my liking. I don't know if it is because it isn't able to show the picture for some reason or what. I know there are some screen savers out there but not sure which on to try. I would like to find one that enables me to locate a particular photo when it shows up on the screensaver. Sometimes, you get a photo you would like to find for various reasons and the Windows 10 screensaver doesn't allow you to do that--at least I haven't figured out a way. Thanks for any help.

Colif

Win 11 Master
that blue icon is a placeholder

Are these pictures stored in Onedrive? Onedrive pictures, of late, have been reported to show blue mountain in File Explorer.

Try following and check after each

1. I am assuming that in File Explorer > View > Extra large icons. large icons or medium icons - One of them is checked, As these are only views which would show a thumbnail of picture.

2. Open File Explorer > View tab > Options > View tab > Uncheck Always show icons, never thumbnails (If this is already unchecked, check it and OK..Then go back again and uncheck it and OK

3. Type control in Windows Start Search box > Click Control Panel > Type system in Control Panel search box > Click View advanced system settings > Click Settings under Performance > Check Show thumbnails instead of icons

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...n/5cf2fe0d-2854-4de0-a8b1-6b642c580347?auth=1

although thats just file exploder, its still possible.. are photos on onedrive? are they local?

Reactions: fishrman
Apr 18, 2020
Give me a little time on this because I will have to see what happens after each and that isn't instantaneous. Looks like lots of good tips. I would say that, under the 1st item, I have "tiles" checked. On the second item, Always show icons never thumbnails is not checked but Display file icon on Thumbnail is checked. Not sure if that makes any difference??

Colif

Win 11 Master
i see the problem
tj0UC9D.jpg

although that is a onedrive folder, half my local files show the same as well.

This can also be due to a new feature in OneDrive called Folder Protection which is strangely set by default to enabled, moves Desktop, Pictures and Documents folders into the OneDrive folder for syncing to cloud. I had to remove my Pictures folder from OneDrive to restore the thumbnails. See here how to disable Pictures Folder Protection to test removing the folder from OneDrive to see if that fixes it:
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials...pc-folder-backup-protection-windows-10-a.html

that fixed it for me, just remove pictures from list and suddenly you can see them all.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2020
i see the problem
tj0UC9D.jpg

although that is a onedrive folder, half my local files show the same as well.

This can also be due to a new feature in OneDrive called Folder Protection which is strangely set by default to enabled, moves Desktop, Pictures and Documents folders into the OneDrive folder for syncing to cloud. I had to remove my Pictures folder from OneDrive to restore the thumbnails. See here how to disable Pictures Folder Protection to test removing the folder from OneDrive to see if that fixes it:
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials...pc-folder-backup-protection-windows-10-a.html

that fixed it for me, just remove pictures from list and suddenly you can see them all.
Hmmm, not sure that is my problem. What is happening is that, often and sometimes just occassionally, while I have the photo screen saver up and running, it will show the same little icon like you are demonstrating above instead of a photo.

Colif

Win 11 Master
worth turning off anyway, it could be the image protection. even if you didn't add them, onedrive did it auto.

I know what you are getting, I just can't find an example of anyone else online. I figure its better to fix problem than get another screensaver but if I can't figure it out, maybe that will be solution.

Colif

Win 11 Master

TRENDING THREADS