[SOLVED] Would like to have guidance from PC gurus, im newbie on build PC

Aug 7, 2020
Hi amazing people!
Im very new but enthusiastic to build my own PC
I want to have a budget pc that can play AAA game, not on max setting but just smooth enough to play comfortably
This build is around USD650 in my place
Would like to have guidance on PC gurus around here

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3300X
GPU : XFX Radeon RX 580 8GB DDR5 GTS XXX OC
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 16GB (2x8GB)
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm
PSU: EVGA 500 BR 80+ bronze
MB : ASRock B450M-HDV
Case : Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L

Thank you very much for your time.

Solution
Hi! Thank you for taking your time to answer my question.
I believe my ram speed is 2133MHz
I dont plan on using ssd because of its price.. i dont really mind the little wait on booting up windows or opening game.
USD650 is my max budget
I see that GTX 1650 super is newer than the RX 580, in term of performance both are equally good, checked the price and both are almost on the same price too. Seems like GTX 1650 Super is a better choice for now.
Do you have any other input about my other parts beside GPU?
I believe getting an ssd is a must in 2020. the difference isnt just a bit of load times, its massive in day to day use.
the first ssd i got on my i7 860 build after 3 years made a perfectly good gaming pc but that feels slow...
You've probably already watched some YouTube videos already, but here is my list of things to be aware of:
  • Components are very fragile to ESD damage. Don't wear foot wear known to generate static electrisity. Also avoid placing yourself on a rugged mat because of the same. You should buy/use an anti static arm wrist when you working. Also - never touch the components on the PCB tracks, but only on the bigger metal surfaces (e.g. the bracket on a GPU or USB ports or screw holes on main board).
  • Components - mainboard in particular - are very fragile. That poses a problem when you may use force to press ram and CPU cooler whilst the main board is seated in the cabinet (because it bends and is only holding up by small contact points). Therefore - when you unbox the mainboard, then use the anti static mat that follow as support, so that the RAM and CPU cooler can be mounted before the mainboard are mounted into the cabinet.
  • Same is for the motherboard itself, be aware that the motherboard may not fit completely in the cabinet, usually discovered AFTER it's mounted and when you're trying to mount the GPU and must use more force than normally to press it down. To avoid this issue, when motherboard is placed into the cabinet first time, don't tighten the screws - let it be loose enough that you can move the mainboard slightly. Then you pot the GPU other PCIe components down - now you don't have to use so much force because the mainboard is still not tighten to the cabinet. After the GPU are fastened, you can tighten the screws holding the motherboard. Don't tighten it too hard.
Have a nice time building your rig :vip:

Reactions: Salinger
Aug 7, 2020
What is the speed of your ram?
Do you have an ssd?
And you might wanna get a gtx 1650 super instead of the rx 580. (they trade blows in performance, but nvidia has a better feature set like nvenc and such, and also much better, less buggier drivers.)

I dont plan on using ssd because of its price.. i dont really mind the little wait on booting up windows or opening game.
USD650 is my max budget
I see that GTX 1650 super is newer than the RX 580, in term of performance both are equally good, checked the price and both are almost on the same price too. Seems like GTX 1650 Super is a better choice for now.

Aug 7, 2020
You've probably already watched some YouTube videos already, but here is my list of things to be aware of:
  • Components are very fragile to ESD damage. Don't wear foot wear known to generate static electrisity. Also avoid placing yourself on a rugged mat because of the same. You should buy/use an anti static arm wrist when you working. Also - never touch the components on the PCB tracks, but only on the bigger metal surfaces (e.g. the bracket on a GPU or USB ports or screw holes on main board).
  • Components - mainboard in particular - are very fragile. That poses a problem when you may use force to press ram and CPU cooler whilst the main board is seated in the cabinet (because it bends and is only holding up by small contact points). Therefore - when you unbox the mainboard, then use the anti static mat that follow as support, so that the RAM and CPU cooler can be mounted before the mainboard are mounted into the cabinet.
  • Same is for the motherboard itself, be aware that the motherboard may not fit completely in the cabinet, usually discovered AFTER it's mounted and when you're trying to mount the GPU and must use more force than normally to press it down. To avoid this issue, when motherboard is placed into the cabinet first time, don't tighten the screws - let it be loose enough that you can move the mainboard slightly. Then you pot the GPU other PCIe components down - now you don't have to use so much force because the mainboard is still not tighten to the cabinet. After the GPU are fastened, you can tighten the screws holding the motherboard. Don't tighten it too hard.
Have a nice time building your rig :vip:
Hi! Thanks for the reminder!
Wow, this is something important, I should take note and read it while putting together the parts. Thanks a lot!
Anw, Im curious to know what you think about my build? Hope u dont mind to share your point of view.

USD650 is my max budget
I believe getting an ssd is a must in 2020. the difference isnt just a bit of load times, its massive in day to day use.
the first ssd i got on my i7 860 build after 3 years made a perfectly good gaming pc but that feels slow everywhere else, into an actually fast snappy and good computer experience.

Unless you have to have 2tb of data, i suggest clawing back the 2tb into 1tb and getting a 120gb ssd. its a really big difference.

You said your budget is very tight, but i also believe for a ryzen build getting 3000 or 3200mhz ram is probably a much better value.
it could give you a lot more performance and its not a very big jump in price.

To be honest, for budget gaming, i believe you should look for upgrade path rather than performance today.
I believe you could get 1 stick of 8gb 3200mhz instead of 16gb today, and use the money to get well, faster ram, and an ssd.
then upgrade ram down the line (which is, very easy compared to swapping boot drive, and much cheaper than swapping 16gbs of perfectly good ram into faster 16gb down the road)

The ram speed is less important than the ssd upgrade though.

Solution
Aug 7, 2020
the first ssd i got on my i7 860 build after 3 years made a perfectly good gaming pc but that feels slow everywhere else, into an actually fast snappy and good computer experience.

Unless you have to have 2tb of data, i suggest clawing back the 2tb into 1tb and getting a 120gb ssd. its a really big difference.

You said your budget is very tight, but i also believe for a ryzen build getting 3000 or 3200mhz ram is probably a much better value.
it could give you a lot more performance and its not a very big jump in price.

To be honest, for budget gaming, i believe you should look for upgrade path rather than performance today.
I believe you could get 1 stick of 8gb 3200mhz instead of 16gb today, and use the money to get well, faster ram, and an ssd.
then upgrade ram down the line (which is, very easy compared to swapping boot drive, and much cheaper than swapping 16gbs of perfectly good ram into faster 16gb down the road)

The ram speed is less important than the ssd upgrade though.

Hi! sry for the late reply..
Your input on ssd is very convincing, I think I might just do what you suggested. and the ram too.
Well, seems like nobody else is going to help me. Guess Im pretty much set now.
Thank you so much for your kind help, glad I asked here.
Hope I can come to you if I have any trouble about PC in the future.

Don’t buy 1x8gb RAM with intention of buying another 1x8gb later. It is not guaranteed to work. RAM is only guaranteed to work together when bought as a matched kit. Even buying the exact same model does not guarantee it will work. Also single channel RAM seriously hurts gaming performance, you are much better to get 2x8gb 3000-3600mhz RAM now and get an SSD later.

That motherboard needs to have a newer BIOS installed to use 3000 series CPU’s. If the seller can tell you what BIOS is installed or if they can update the BIOS for you then great. However if the BIOS is older and does not support 3000 series CPU’s you will need to find a 1000 or 2000 series cpu to do the update before the 3300X will work.

Aug 7, 2020
Don’t buy 1x8gb RAM with intention of buying another 1x8gb later. It is not guaranteed to work. RAM is only guaranteed to work together when bought as a matched kit. Even buying the exact same model does not guarantee it will work. Also single channel RAM seriously hurts gaming performance, you are much better to get 2x8gb 3000-3600mhz RAM now and get an SSD later.

That motherboard needs to have a newer BIOS installed to use 3000 series CPU’s. If the seller can tell you what BIOS is installed or if they can update the BIOS for you then great. However if the BIOS is older and does not support 3000 series CPU’s you will need to find a 1000 or 2000 series cpu to do the update before the 3300X will work.

Oh! So I need to look for a matched kit. My wallet is screaming haha gonna save up a little bit more then...

Seller said I can use it on the go and give me this specification:
  • 128Mb AMI UEFI Legal BIOS with GUI support
  • Supports "Plug and Play"
  • ACPI 5.1 compliance wake up events
  • Supports jumperfree
  • SMBIOS 2.3 support
  • DRAM Voltage multi-adjustment

I dont understand what this is and not sure if it really does not require to update the BIOS.
Can you help me look it up?
Thanks in advance.

If you get the same stick, even if its not a matched kit, it almost always works. the chances of 2 identical sticks not working together is quite slim, but it still is a chance, so i get you.
+1 about the bios version

If he gets an ssd later, it means he will have to clone it, which i guess isn't a problem, but its just a hassle.
but i guess dual channel memory vs single channel is also a pretty big hit to performance.

If you get the same stick, even if its not a matched kit, it almost always works. the chances of 2 identical sticks not working together is quite slim, but it still is a chance, so i get you.

If he gets an ssd later, it means he will have to clone it, which i guess isn't a problem, but its just a hassle.
but i guess dual channel memory vs single channel is also a pretty big hit to performance.
While the chance of issues is lower when using the same model RAM issues do happen, I’ve had it first hand once and there are numerous threads on here where people have had issues with just this. I don’t know the % chance of issues, I expect only the manufacturers know this %.

While the chance of issues is lower when using the same model RAM issues do happen, I’ve had it first hand once and there are numerous threads on here where people have had issues with just this. I don’t know the % chance of issues, I expect only the manufacturers know this %.
I have not had that happen to me yet, but if you say its a common problem, i think @Salinger should follow it and get 2x8 now, and get an ssd later, and just migrate the data.

Just a note if you decide to go with a regular HDD - for getting the most speed out of it.

Say you have a 2 TB drive, then I'd recommend using like 300GB for windows, and the rest for storage. If you're about to install many games, you may want to have the C drive bigger.

If you're using more than one storage device, then you'd have only the system drive connecteed while installing windows. Otherwise windows may label the system partition something else than C. Not a big deal but still slightly annoying.

Looked it up and found that ryzen 3 3300x is on the support list so I guess that mean it is compatible and can be used on the go right?
Look to the right of the table in the ‘Since BIOS’ column and it quotes P3.30. This means version P3.30 or higher must be installed for the cpu to be supported. You need the seller to confirm what version is installed.

Aug 7, 2020

Indeed it is a hassle for me.. Well, after I read all the input here and do a thinking, I come to a conclusion that I need to stretch my budget a bit more. For the sake of not having more hassle..

Aug 7, 2020
Just a note if you decide to go with a regular HDD - for getting the most speed out of it.

Say you have a 2 TB drive, then I'd recommend using like 300GB for windows, and the rest for storage. If you're about to install many games, you may want to have the C drive bigger.

If you're using more than one storage device, then you'd have only the system drive connecteed while installing windows. Otherwise windows may label the system partition something else than C. Not a big deal but still slightly annoying.
Hi! I plan on getting an ssd for windows and 1tb hdd for games, music (yes I download music, in fact I have thousands if not ten thousand.. English, Korea, Japan, Chinese, Cantonese, and others and a few of that music clips that I like or just want to collect) and work stuff, PS, AI, AL..

Noted for the storage devices and installing windows tips. I'll be sure to watch that.

Hi! I plan on getting an ssd for windows and 1tb hdd for games, music (yes I download music, in fact I have thousands if not ten thousand.. English, Korea, Japan, Chinese, Cantonese, and others and a few of that music clips that I like or just want to collect) and work stuff, PS, AI, AL..

Noted for the storage devices and installing windows tips. I'll be sure to watch that.
J-pop ftw.

anyway...
Indeed it is a hassle for me.. Well, after I read all the input here and do a thinking, I come to a conclusion that I need to stretch my budget a bit more. For the sake of not having more hassle..
Stretching your budget just a tiny bit, i guess it would be around 50-70$ more, would give you a better price to performance spot, so i believe its the right choice, just don't start overspending on stuff that is less important