Question Would like to know compatible GPUs. Upgrading from 440gt on old motherboard. More information provided.

Jul 19, 2019
Greetings,
I have an old rig that I'm trying to improve slightly to play old games I never got to. I have a bad back so this helps pass the time. My motherboard is MCP6PB M2+. 4gb ram. 500 watts ps. Current GPU is an nvidia geforce gt 440. Processor is AMD athlon 64 x2 dual core 5200+. OS windows 10 home 64bit.

Was looking at 650s or 1050 ti since they were recommended. I'd like to get a second opinion since I'm not as knowledgeable on the subject. Mainly just want to be able to play games like The Forest smoothly if possible. It runs on the 440 but choppy.
Thank you for your time.

Best wishes,
Tom

Jul 20, 2019
That cpu is really going to hold you back for most games. Even a lower end card like the gt 1030 wont be able to stretch it's legs fully. The forest is not too difficult to run however so it might be possible with something like the gt 1030. And who knows, if it doesn't run well you can always get a cheap am2+ cpu to put into your pc (am2+ is your socket for you cpu). There are many different options on ebay for 4 core 4 thread cpus around 35 bucks. They will perform much better than the 5200+.

Reactions: Tkizzle117
Jul 19, 2019
So I wouldn't have to replace the motherboard in that situation? just switch out for the new cpu and gpu? Any chance you could tell me the full name for the cpu so when I go to ebay I know what to search for? For only around 50$ I agree that would be the way to go if my current one is holding me back. I thought I would have had to replace my motherboard too if I did something like that. Also, you dont recommend the suggested GPUs, you suggest the 1030? Thank you for your time and response.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2019
To be honest, switching the cpu out for a better cpu (like the AMD Phenom II X 4 830) would provide significantly better performance but I'm not so sure you should invest money into a platform that is so dead. This cpu would provide the performance you are looking for but that does not say it will a little down the line.

Reactions: Tkizzle117
Jul 19, 2019
It would be worth it to me. If I only have to spend $100-$200 to make my current setup able to play the old games, like the forest, its better than building a whole new rig. I'm not looking to play arma or space engineers. I would like to one day but at the moment that's not possible.
You recommend the AMD Phenom II X 4 830 and the gt 1030 just to confirm on gpu?
Again, I appreciate the help, thank you!

TRENDING THREADS