[SOLVED] Would love to know how to improve airflow of this case

Apr 7, 2020

Just built a "new" PC.
There isn't enough room between the case and the back plate so the cabals are all squeezed back into the case.
The fan at the top and in the front are both blowing inwards.
I still have one more 12cm fan and 2 extra 9cm 4pin fans.
There is no opening in the front of the case.
I don't have enough space on my desk so the case is in a relatively closed space with little fresh air.
The R5 3600 when idle is at around 42 degrees and goes to around 75 during TimeSpy
The GTX 1080 is at 40 when idle.
What I noticed is that the motherboard(Gigabyte A320M) has the highest temp reading when idle TMPIN01/02/04/05 (49~59 degrees)

Any advice would be appreciated:)

Solution
Wouldn't an exhaust fan in the front deprive the cpu cooler of air?

Fixed the cabals and installed the last 12cm fan. Now I have 2 fans in the front and the gpu is about 6 degrees cooler. The warmest reading of the motherboard is ~3 degrees cooler but it's still way above 50.

Thinking about flipping the top fan to exhaust and putting it in the slot in the back so that the air would go thru the upper part of the motherboard before getting out.
Only 3 fans need be used here.
1)Remove that top fan, it's usel- correction, it's doing more harm than good.

2)Take those 2 front fans and move them exactly as you originally had the single front fan in the original post...

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Your top fan should be oriented as an exhaust fan (flip it over). Since you must remove it to flip it over, you might consider placing in the front (along with the one you have) to pull more cool air into the case.

Generally, front, bottom, and side fans pull cool air into your case (intake). Rear and top suck hot air out of the case (exhaust).

The easiest would be to move the top fan to the front blowing in.
What you could always do is add a 80mm fan under the graphics card blowing in. Basically to bring more air to it. But that mostly gives more air there.
Another option would be to turn the CPU cooler 90° and let it blow up, then add 2 fans at the top of the case. (I got such a setup because my case fits 2x 140mm in the top and only 1x 120mm at tbe back)

If your side panel allows for mounting fans, that could also help. (with a fan blowing fresh air between graphics card and CPU, which then goes into the CPU cooler and get exhausted at the top)
But all of that of course depends. Best would be to test some of the ideas and see what gives you the best temps.

Do you have any clue where on the board the fans TMPIN01/02/04/05 are located? That would help finding the spot you might want to improve airflow.

Apr 7, 2020
Your top fan should be oriented as an exhaust fan (flip it over). Since you must remove it to flip it over, you might consider placing in the front (along with the one you have) to pull more cool air into the case.

Generally, front, bottom, and side fans pull cool air into your case (intake). Rear and top suck hot air out of the case (exhaust).

Fixed the cabals and installed the last 12cm fan. Now I have 2 fans in the front and the gpu is about 6 degrees cooler. The warmest reading of the motherboard is ~3 degrees cooler but it's still way above 50.

Thinking about flipping the top fan to exhaust and putting it in the slot in the back so that the air would go thru the upper part of the motherboard before getting out.

Apr 7, 2020
The easiest would be to move the top fan to the front blowing in.
What you could always do is add a 80mm fan under the graphics card blowing in. Basically to bring more air to it. But that mostly gives more air there.
Another option would be to turn the CPU cooler 90° and let it blow up, then add 2 fans at the top of the case. (I got such a setup because my case fits 2x 140mm in the top and only 1x 120mm at tbe back)

If your side panel allows for mounting fans, that could also help. (with a fan blowing fresh air between graphics card and CPU, which then goes into the CPU cooler and get exhausted at the top)
But all of that of course depends. Best would be to test some of the ideas and see what gives you the best temps.

Do you have any clue where on the board the fans TMPIN01/02/04/05 are located? That would help finding the spot you might want to improve airflow.
Where would I mount the 80mm fan? On the backplate or on top of the psu/hdd bay?

IIRC the fan on the side panel is much better at cooling than other designs, but they sold me this generic case with see-thru side panel for 20 bucks so I compromised...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador

2)Take those 2 front fans and move them exactly as you originally had the single front fan in the original post.

3)Can't tell from the picture, but is there even a grille beneath the psu? If not, have it fan up.

4)Done - as far as fan placement is concerned.

Reactions: Sithlord1138
Solution
Apr 7, 2020

2)Take those 2 front fans and move them exactly as you originally had the single front fan in the original post.

3)Can't tell from the picture, but is there even a grille beneath the psu? If not, have it fan up.

4)Done - as far as fan placement is concerned.
I will try removing the top fan first but keep the double fans in the front for now, since I did get a somewhat cooler temp reading with 2 of them.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I will try removing the top fan first but keep the double fans in the front for now, since I did get a somewhat cooler temp reading with 2 of them.
Move the 2 front fans behind the fan bracket just like you had the one in the first image. It gives them more 'breathing room'.
You're choking the fans by leaving them almost flush with a solid front panel.

Move the 2 front fans behind the fan bracket just like you had the one in the first image. It gives them more 'breathing room'.

Absolutely agree with that.

I don't agree with removing the top intake or moving it to the top / rear as exhaust though.

Where it is orientated as an intake at the moment is beneficial as far as I see (especially with that cpu cooler design)

The main issue I see from the photos is that the entire pc is in a cabinet facing sideways so the entire left hand front intake vents are pretty much made redundant)

That enclosed space is what's affecting temps more than anything else imo.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I don't agree with removing the top intake or moving it to the top / rear as exhaust though.

Where it is orientated as an intake at the moment is beneficial as far as I see (especially with that cpu cooler design)
I couldn't help but recall my experience with top intake in a Phantom 820, Enthoo 719, and my current chassis. It may actually be worth it in that one.
Some air coolers already draw air from up there, plus the effect of a single fan up there would be minor, and could actually push air down, and away from the cpu cooler.
I don't see top exhaust above the NH-D9L doing anything either.

I agree with everything else.
What do you expect when you put a space heater into an enclosed space? ¯\(ツ)

Apr 7, 2020
Done. The result seems pretty good. Highest reading on the Motherboard is 48 degrees and CPU is at between 40~42 degrees and its noon right now.

Reactions: Phaaze88