Would More Cores Benefit Me?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

919han153

Honorable
Dec 22, 2012
I currently own a i5 3750k for my main PC. Its a great computer, and the processor does everything I have needed it to. I overclocked it to 4.5ghz with the fans I use on 5v, and it runs very quiet. I choose the i5 ivy bridge based on how it came out in benchmarks, and how it scored for FPS (while a dedicated GPU was running) amongst general advice that Intel was the way to go.

However recently I've switched what I have been doing on my PC, from a gamer who relied just on a GPU, I only used to have a couple of processes running at one time, to now having many processes running at one time, and CPU usage is often 80-100% (used by the programs I run, ~5-20% per process). As soon as it hits 100%, the programs often slowdown, and reduce the productivity that they had before 100% usage, starting to lag, etc.

The question I have now is, I want to be able to run more processes, but don't want to run into 100% CPU usage, where the programs I run then are forced to slowdown. I will always keep my Intel PC as my main PC, however would a cheaper, AMD 8-core CPU benefit me?

To just remind you what I need this CPU purely for, is not video encoding, 4k gaming, or being the best in overall points while testing an SSD. Its for running many processes that currently, my Intel 4-core CPU can't handle. With a 8-core CPU, will the CPU usage be reduced per program, to a point which I could run many more programs compared to my 4-core Intel CPU?

To give a small insight in what these programs are, they mostly consist of java applications/javascripts that loop constantly, 24/7.

Solution

Actually it's like feeding two throats through one mouth with two hands. hence why this is not cut and dry.