Would motherboard still work without realtek IC.

Tremy

Prominent
May 15, 2017
On a motherboard the realtek sound IC burned and its causing a short, if I were to remove this IC and not put a new one in its place, would the rest of the board still work?

Solution

Lutfij

Titan
Hard to tell, each board is designed/manufactured slightly different so we can't tell where the PCB's trace paths are. On top of that there are layers in a board(also depending on the make and model of the board) it might have traces paths running at each intermittent layer which is where the shorts are taking place.

Might even prevent you from power the board up at all after removing the chip.

ARAN_108

Reputable
Aug 11, 2016

It's hard to tell if the IC burning itself has stopped your PC form booting, What could have caused the chip to burn in the first place?

If it was a short and the chip was faulty, yeah you can replace it and get your PC running. But, there are other things too, like "Does the chip require a program to run?" . As far as driver chips go, they already come application ready.

I once tried to fix a downed laptop, hunted and bought the chip, soldered it and viola! It didn't work. Then I got to know that the chip comes empty form the factory and the user is supposed to burn a program in it before using.

What's the chip's exact name?

Tremy

Prominent
May 15, 2017

It's a Realtek ALC269 QFN48

ARAN_108

Reputable
Aug 11, 2016

Looks like it's a plain driver chip, no programming needed. Removing alone isn't going to help, you will definitely end up with a blue screen error even if your board works. Removing and replacing also might not help as long as the cause of failure is unknown.

It's best to send it to the manufacturer for RMA or servicing.

Solution