Would mounting a downward blowing fan above the Engine 27 CPU Cooler cause a worthwhile improvement in performance?

harryoui

Reputable
Jun 25, 2015
gvSki

Annotated Diagram

Thermaltake's Engine 27 is a ~70 TDP low profile cooler that utilises the Sandia design for an all metal spinning cooler. This CPU cooler is the only cooler that implements this technology in the commercial market. In the picture above I have labelled the intake and exhaust of the cooler, the inner spinning heatsink that acts as a fan, and my proposed fan sizes (A, B and C).

My plan is to use this cooler in a low profile build, but am afraid that it will not be able to disperse enough heat for the occasional intensive operation. My plan is therefore, to have a fan positioned above the cooler which will activate when there is excess heat.

My question is this; will having a fan that blows air onto the top of the Engine 27 allow for it to make a worthwhile increased cooling effect due to more air in the intake being passed through it's heatsink?

If so, which size fan would be ideal? (see diagram)
A) a large fan blowing air across the entire heatsink
B) a medium fan blowing air onto the spinning part of the heatsink
C) a small fan blowing air into the center of the heatsink's 'intake', where no fins are present

I plan to mount the additional fan to the roof above the Engine 27, so it would not be directly attached: I think this would allow for easier mounting and also decrease sound from turbulence/vibration of the two fans.

EDIT: Picture was not showing so pasted direct link

Solution
What you want to concentrate on is increasing the intake of fresh air.
Whatever comes in will exit the pc, taking heat with it.

A cooler does not sweat like we do; blowing air does not lower temperatures.

You plan might direct some of the intake air more directly to the cooler, but I think it would not help as much as increasing the total supply of air into the case.
What you want to concentrate on is increasing the intake of fresh air.
Whatever comes in will exit the pc, taking heat with it.

A cooler does not sweat like we do; blowing air does not lower temperatures.

You plan might direct some of the intake air more directly to the cooler, but I think it would not help as much as increasing the total supply of air into the case.

Solution