Would my cpu display or even just start with a bad cpu cooler?

royal056

Reputable
Feb 22, 2017
I got a new cpu recently, but I used the stock cooler (i didnt know stock coolers werent very good at the time)
Anyway, I got everything plugged in and hooked up (including the new cpu and the fan the came with it). When I turned it on, it never displayed to my monitor. i realized that the cpu fan runs incredibly slow.
Is this the reason the computer wont display?
Also is it possible that my cpu is fried? Its an AMD FX 6300 if that helps.

if you couldnt tell already, im a new builder, so simple answers are more appreciated.
thanks!

Solution
Cpu coolers have only one thing that'll affect the boot of a pc, that's if there is or isn't something plugged into the cpu fan header. Technically you don't even need a cooler, just a fan plugged into the header, but reality being what it is, the cpu will overheat and shut down in short order.

The biggest issue with coolers is thermal past applications. If it's done incorrectly and far too much paste applied, it leaks out the edges and quite often bungs up the cpu pins causing all sorts of bad things to happen. If the new cooler came with factory applied paste, this won't be the issue.
It may simply be that in installing the new cooler, either you have unseated the ram/gpu and not properly reinstalled or accidentally unseated either.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Cpu coolers have only one thing that'll affect the boot of a pc, that's if there is or isn't something plugged into the cpu fan header. Technically you don't even need a cooler, just a fan plugged into the header, but reality being what it is, the cpu will overheat and shut down in short order.

The biggest issue with coolers is thermal past applications. If it's done incorrectly and far too much paste applied, it leaks out the edges and quite often bungs up the cpu pins causing all sorts of bad things to happen. If the new cooler came with factory applied paste, this won't be the issue.
It may simply be that in installing the new cooler, either you have unseated the ram/gpu and not properly reinstalled or accidentally unseated either.

Solution

OneFIshSunfish

Reputable
Nov 4, 2014
a quick google search show the processor you have chosen does not have an integrated graphics processor. Make sure you are connecting your monitor to your gpu and not your mobo (if the mobo even has a monitor slot? not familiar with AMD hardware).

You really need to list all the parts that you have used for your system build Royal056.

Things such as the motherboard brand name used, and the model number of the motherboard.
Along with how much ram the system is running, what speed it is rated at and it`s brand also.

Including the brand name of the power supply unit you are using, it`s total wattage output.
And any Pci-e based graphics card used if slotted into the Pci-e card slot of the motherboard, brand name and model number.

The more parts information you can provide, the more likely you will get an answer and a fix to the problem of the system not showing a screen output from the system on the monitor.

So do another post with all of the details listed.