Would my Geforce GT-640 run Minecraft on full settings perfectly? (I mean like 130 fps or something)

Solution
Your CPU should be enough for playing games, so definitely the GPU that's the bottleneck.

What graphics card I can recommend comes down too whether your PSU (the component that turns AC wall power into DC power the computer can use) has a 6pin PCIe cable. If it doesn't, the most I can recommend is a HD7750. If it does, potentially the best card you could get is a HD7850 if you can find one.

If your PSU doesnt have that cable and you want the higher performance, you will need to replace it. Its pretty much just a matter of your budget at this point.
Its a low end card, not even really intended for gaming with the GT prefix saying its more for HTPC usage. Then again, Minecraft isnt exactly an intensive game graphically. TBH, no idea, though I dont think if it can run at full settings it will do so above 60fps.
The way your question is phrased implies that you already have a GT640, why not just run Minecraft and see?

RevolutionHD

Honorable
Mar 28, 2013

Well, I have experienced that it won't run Minecraft too well, I just wanted to be sure of that if it really can not get the " really good" fps. My computer is an Asus CM1831, and it has AMD FX-8120 8-core processor and... well, I can't remember anything else except the GPU and that. :p So anyway, is there any really good and not-so-expensive graphics card for playing Minecraft that I could go and put it in to my computer?

P.S: Thanks for the quick answer and sorry for my bad english! :)

Your CPU should be enough for playing games, so definitely the GPU that's the bottleneck.

What graphics card I can recommend comes down too whether your PSU (the component that turns AC wall power into DC power the computer can use) has a 6pin PCIe cable. If it doesn't, the most I can recommend is a HD7750. If it does, potentially the best card you could get is a HD7850 if you can find one.

If your PSU doesnt have that cable and you want the higher performance, you will need to replace it. Its pretty much just a matter of your budget at this point.

Solution

RevolutionHD

Honorable
Mar 28, 2013
Ok, thank you for so good answer! I have been looking for a better card. I was just wondering if my cooler is good enough. Does that one you told me about need anything special for cooling? I hope not. But thank you still!! You are awesome!

RevolutionHD

Honorable
Mar 28, 2013
Hey, do you know this: Can I take my computer and graphics card to a store where they can put the new card to the desktop? Bcs I can't build anything that has computer-word in it. :( And could the Asus HD7770 V2 be good for me?

All the cards will have their own cooling solutions on them, though case airflow might become an issue if you get a higher end card.

Probably, depends on the store I guess. Though putting in a graphics card isnt difficult, its pretty much pull out the old, slot the new one in and hook it up to power, then install drivers.
The HD7770 could be a good option if you have that 6pin cable, if you dont have it then it wont work.

RevolutionHD

Honorable
Mar 28, 2013
Oh right, I will try to get the HD7750 or HD7770 if I can. Let's see how it goes. But anyway, thank you so much for the help, u really know these things. I love websites like this and people like u that can help a noob like m! Thanks!

RevolutionHD

Honorable
Mar 28, 2013
Oh, I almost forgot to ask(Stupid me): Will using a HD7770, HD7750 or HD7850 make a big fps change and lower the lag in games (Minecraft, mayde CoD Ghosts) compared to the old Nvidia GT-640 or is it just a small difference? Bcs if it's a small difference I won't buy a new card :)
And is the HD7850 small enough to fit to my case? I don't have room for a giant graphics card.
Thanks again!

Minecraft, most likely though its largely a CPU limited game. COD and other more graphically intensive games, no doubt. That GT640 really isn't what I would call a gaming card, the only situation I would recommend it is if you simply needed more display outputs (and there are cheaper cards that can do that).
Lag, depends on whats the cause of it. No amount of graphics grunt will make up for a slow internet connection if thats whats causing it.

Would depend on the model of 7850 and depends on your case. In the cards specifications it should say how long it is, pop open the case and measure if it will fit.

MajinCry

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
Uh. Using an 8600GT, I was getting in excess of 200 FPS. Switched to a 6670, was getting a solid 60 at all times. Even with shez-loads of dynamite.

Go for it; but if you can find a cheap-o 8xxx GT, nab it. Might as well save yourself the moolah.

RevolutionHD

Honorable
Mar 28, 2013
Okay... the 7850 does not fit to my case, so the 7770 is probably the best I can get. But I have a 300w PSU in my computer, can it run the hd7770 or do I have to get a better power supply? I hope not... and if yes, is it hard to put a new PSU to a computer? Thank u for ur support and help!

A 300W PSU in a prebuilt machine, yea it probably doesn't have the necessary connectors.
I would replace it with a unit like this.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207013
Which actually supports a 6pin and 6+2pin PCIe connector, so you could run any single card you could want with that.

Not really. Take a picture of everything the PSU is plugged into before you pull it out, put the new one in and make sure everything is hooked up.

RevolutionHD

Honorable
Mar 28, 2013
Is this the same product: XFX Core Edition 550 W ATX
Connectors: 9 x SATA, 1 x ATX 24-pin, 1 x 4+4-pin ATX, 2 x 4-pin Floppy, 6 x 4-pin molex, 1x 6+2-pin PCIe, 1 x 6-pin PCIe

Powers: +3.3V / 24A, +5V / 24A, +12V / 44A, -12V / 0.5A, +5Vsb / 2.5A?
It has +80 bronze award, but its in store here where I live and it costs 59.90 euros (€)
Thanks for answering!

RevolutionHD

Honorable
Mar 28, 2013
I've got the new parts sitting next to me right now (7770&XFX 550W)! Yay! ;)
The guy in the store tested that they would fit to my case, so now it's just "tearing" the old down and putting the new to its place! Thanks for helping me! U have helped me so much! Thhaaankk youuuu!! :D

Evankiller9

Honorable
Sep 6, 2013
You don't need 130FPS, unless you have a 120hz monitor. You would be better off getting a card for $60 and buying a refurbished 60GB SSD and put Minecraft on it so the world chunks load faster.

Evankiller9

Honorable
Sep 6, 2013
And honestly, you can open your case and look at the side of your PSU and see what the wattage is, and watch a Youtube video on how to install a video card. Building desktops is not a hard task at all.

TriBeard

Honorable
Jan 13, 2014
I think your issue is probably more that minecraft (I don't think) is a very threaded program. Therefore, you are probably running up against a performance wall because of that CPU's rather lack-luster single core performance. I could be wrong, but that's just the feeling I have.

Though 120FPS is a ton, and probably more than most people would benefit from.

TRENDING THREADS