[SOLVED] Would overclocking RAM help to make for not having more?

ollie_535

Commendable
May 2, 2016
My system has 8gb of RAM, which for some games is just not quite enough. So I am wondering if I overclock my RAM to some degree, will that help to make up for it?

Solution
Not it you don't have enough, and specifically by this we mean are using more than you have and are therefore hitting the page file, the size of that effect will swamp any improvement due to OCing. Before you use too much you'll get some minor benefit.

ollie_535

Commendable
May 2, 2016
My system has 8gb of RAM, which for some newer games is just not quite enough. So I am wondering if I overclock my RAM to some degree, will that help to make up for it? I understand capacity is always better than speed, but would I notice if I overclocked the RAM?

ollie_535

Commendable
May 2, 2016
Not it you don't have enough, and specifically by this we mean are using more than you have and are therefore hitting the page file, the size of that effect will swamp any improvement due to OCing. Before you use too much you'll get some minor benefit.
Okay, thank you, I am just trying to save myself from buying more RAM since my whole system is less than stellar. And if I were to start replacing I may as well just upgrade it all. I may give overclocking a go, even if only slightly.

compprob237

Distinguished
Okay, thank you, I am just trying to save myself from buying more RAM since my whole system is less than stellar. And if I were to start replacing I may as well just upgrade it all. I may give overclocking a go, even if only slightly.
Assuming you have 4 RAM slots and your kit is 2x4GB you could consider a 2x2GB kit which should be quite cheap now. You don't have to worry about the mismatched sizes. Just make sure the kit's specifications (Speed, timings, voltage) match up with, or are better than, your current kit.