[SOLVED] Would putting PC to sleep overnight daily shorten RAM lifespan ?

worstalentscout

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2016
hi,

say if i hardly ever turn off my desktop............it's put to sleep overnight daily..............will this shorten the lifespan of the RAM considerably ?

i have 2 x 8GB of non-gaming Crucial RAM...........3200mhz but running at 2666mhz............

many thanks in advance........

Solution
great to hear that............an IT guy from where i'm from kept telling me to shut off my pc............saying the PSU and RAM and other parts will die a premature death if i kept them on overnight daily.............
From my casual research on what ultimately "kills" electronics faster, it's heat. The more heat the part is subjected to (including the heat its generating), the shorter the lifespan becomes. And while yes, electronics consuming power does generate some heat, the amount of power being consumed while the computer is asleep as far less than say an IBM 5150 PC back in the day and people still run those things regularly.

But if you want a more modern example to compare to: your phone. Your phone is basically...

worstalentscout

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2016
No, either way.

many thanks indeed...........i was hoping for an answer from you to put me at ease.......

as usual, i'm over worrying about pc parts dying prematurely............

I've been doing this for years across multiple systems and I haven't seen a problem.

great to hear that............an IT guy from where i'm from kept telling me to shut off my pc............saying the PSU and RAM and other parts will die a premature death if i kept them on overnight daily.............

From my casual research on what ultimately "kills" electronics faster, it's heat. The more heat the part is subjected to (including the heat its generating), the shorter the lifespan becomes. And while yes, electronics consuming power does generate some heat, the amount of power being consumed while the computer is asleep as far less than say an IBM 5150 PC back in the day and people still run those things regularly.

But if you want a more modern example to compare to: your phone. Your phone is basically always on. If the phone was well kept throughout the person using it, the thing that goes is the battery, not the electronics.

Solution

worstalentscout

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2016

But if you want a more modern example to compare to: your phone. Your phone is basically always on. If the phone was well kept throughout the person using it, the thing that goes is the battery, not the electronics.

many thanks for the reassuring info................yes, the phone still works after years..........