[SOLVED] Would Ryzen 3 3200G thermal throttle at 88 degrees?

Redthirst

Honorable
Jul 16, 2016
My girlfriend's system is:
Ryzen 3 3200G
16 GB RAM
RX 570

Recently, she noticed weird FPS drops while playing Overwatch. They don't happen often, but are very noticeable, and the OW isn't really the kind of game that should stress that system.

Running HWINFO for diagnostics, I was able to find that her CPU would sometimes shoot to 88+ degrees(that's on stock cooler). What I'm wondering now is whether that's the culprit. I know that she should really upgrade the cooler(or at least change the thermal paste), but the question is whether 88 degrees would actually cause thermal throttling and thus cause the FPS drops. I've also noticed that sometimes, her cores would clock at 1300 MHz(though it doesn't seem like it happens when the CPU has those temp spikes), which seems a bit too low. My own Ryzen 5 2600x doesn't seem to get below 2300 MHz.

Solution
Ryzen 3 3200G
16 GB RAM
RX 570

Recently, she noticed weird FPS drops while playing Overwatch. They don't happen often, but are very noticeable, and the OW isn't really the kind of game that should stress that system.

Running HWINFO for diagnostics, I was able to find that her CPU would sometimes shoot to 88+ degrees(that's on stock cooler). What I'm wondering now is whether that's the culprit. I know that she should really upgrade the cooler(or at least change the thermal paste), but the question is whether 88 degrees would actually cause thermal throttling and thus cause the FPS drops. I've also noticed that sometimes, her cores would clock at 1300 MHz(though it doesn't seem like it happens when the CPU...
Jun 18, 2020
The 3200G cooler is only 65 watts so going aftermarket cooler would drop the temps if you went for say 150 watt TDP range of coolers as 88+C is on the high side & stock oem coolers are really a get you working heatsink.

When I consider building a gaming PC I never use the stock cooler in fact my 3800X oem cooler is still in it's box new untouched & that is a 105w heatpipe cooler.

Also check the case for air flow & fans as just 1 extraction fan at the rear is never enough when gaming you need forced air intake cooling as well really.

Around 65 C is the highest I would expect to see in my gaming rig.

Redthirst

Honorable
Jul 16, 2016
The 3200G cooler is only 65 watts so going aftermarket cooler would drop the temps if you went for say 150 watt TDP range of coolers as 88+C is on the high side & stock oem coolers are really a get you working heatsink.

When I consider building a gaming PC I never use the stock cooler in fact my 3800X oem cooler is still in it's box new untouched & that is a 105w heatpipe cooler.

Also check the case for air flow & fans as just 1 extraction fan at the rear is never enough when gaming you need forced air intake cooling as well really.

Around 65 C is the highest I would expect to see in my gaming rig.
Yeah, it was a very budget build at the time(3200G was chosen to not have to buy a dedicated GPU), so our goal was to get a system that worked for the cheapest price, which meant going with the stock cooler and stock thermal paste.

She also realized that for whatever reason, the XMP profile turned off and so her RAM was running at 2400 MHz, which could be the culprit as well. It's now turned back on to 3200 and we're going to see how it goes.

The FPS issues were recent, the system ran fine before that, which is why I wasn't sure that the cooler was the reason.

Still, I'll advise her to get a better cooler and also sort out the airflow. Her case was supposed to have an intake and an exhaust, but apparently it doesn't have an intake for some reason.

Ryzen 3 3200G
16 GB RAM
RX 570

Running HWINFO for diagnostics, I was able to find that her CPU would sometimes shoot to 88+ degrees(that's on stock cooler). What I'm wondering now is whether that's the culprit. I know that she should really upgrade the cooler(or at least change the thermal paste), but the question is whether 88 degrees would actually cause thermal throttling and thus cause the FPS drops. I've also noticed that sometimes, her cores would clock at 1300 MHz(though it doesn't seem like it happens when the CPU has those temp spikes), which seems a bit too low. My own Ryzen 5 2600x doesn't seem to get below 2300 MHz.
88c is pushing toward the top.
Get a can of compressed air and get the cpu fan and heatsink nice and clean.
Look close at the heatsink as they can get packed with dust.

Solution

Redthirst

Honorable
Jul 16, 2016
88c is pushing toward the top.
Get a can of compressed air and get the cpu fan and heatsink nice and clean.
Look close at the heatsink as they can get packed with dust.
Yeah, going to at least repaste that and also clean out the dust, though might have to wait some time for paste to arrive since COVID messes up delivery times.