[SOLVED] Would SSD be significant upgrade for this slow Processor

N3wb13g

Honorable
Mar 2, 2017
Lenovo Ideapad 110, Intel® Celeron® Processor N3060.
1TB HDD.

second,
PC with Intel® Pentium® Processor G2030.
500mb old WD Black.

Both systems are slow.

Would it be worthy if I upgrade it to SSD?
Some says it would be useless since the processor is mediocre.
But it's always better to ask here.

Solution
Great little media center you have. This is full spec of my secondary PC.

Intel® Pentium® Processor G2030.
IPMSB-H61.
4GB RAM.
500mb old WD Black.
240W cheap PSU.

My first build is on my signature. Seems like I would just use it for heavy task occasionally, that's why I wanna make the second PC more decent for everyday light uses, or media center like you have.

It can take an SSD you might be able to make things load faster, open more responsively, in general if its not had anything done to it for a while the drive is probably a lot slower than it would have been, and any normal HDD should make it feel more responsive opening windows and programs. You got any drive you can clear and spare from your main rig? do a fresh...

Obiwancanabi

Proper
Dec 24, 2020
I concur, the cost of used hardware right now it would make way more sense to upgrade the cores of both, a motherboard and cpu bundle off ebay will do so much more than an SSD will alone. assuming your power supplies have the power and reliability to keep running they should last you a while if you dont do much on them. and even a half decent power supply should only add $30-40 to your build. Im still on a 4th gen intel here that id feel guilty selling for $100 as a working kit, not because it doesn't do a good job, but because theres so much out there thats potentially better to choose from, and it has done me so well over the years i can game, dual screen with an added graphics card. its a great little media centre. I just had a quick look and it looks cheaper to buy an old complete system https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...uction=1&_osacat=0&_odkw=i5+4440+bundle&rt=nc and i mean thats just an example of what you can get for very little, depending on your use and what you want it for even that might feel like its more than you need. SSD's will help but its only going to make things open faster at best. more ram on older systems will let you do more without things lagging, so if your web browser is slow after being open for a while its a sign you are running out of memory, i really would abandon those for all but emergency units, always good to have enough bits to rebuild something that works, coz even a bad old pc is better than no pc

N3wb13g

Honorable
Mar 2, 2017
What are the uses?

I mostly agree. Ssd upgrade is rather pointless on those old systems. They probably have little ram and process everything slowly. Think of it as adding bigger wheels to your car. There are a few cases where it will help, but overall the car isn't going any faster.
The Ideapad was just for watching. Not mine, uncle just complained it's very slow.

The PC is secondary built. Used for lite uses like browsing, lite gaming, retro uses and so on. But, even for launching file explorer or Chrome it takes time.

Seems like I'll definitely not upgrade the Ideapad thanks for your analogy.

N3wb13g

Honorable
Mar 2, 2017
I concur, the cost of used hardware right now it would make way more sense to upgrade the cores of both, a motherboard and cpu bundle off ebay will do so much more than an SSD will alone. assuming your power supplies have the power and reliability to keep running they should last you a while if you dont do much on them. and even a half decent power supply should only add $30-40 to your build. Im still on a 4th gen intel here that id feel guilty selling for $100 as a working kit, not because it doesn't do a good job, but because theres so much out there thats potentially better to choose from, and it has done me so well over the years i can game, dual screen with an added graphics card. its a great little media centre. I just had a quick look and it looks cheaper to buy an old complete system https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...uction=1&_osacat=0&_odkw=i5+4440+bundle&rt=nc and i mean thats just an example of what you can get for very little, depending on your use and what you want it for even that might feel like its more than you need. SSD's will help but its only going to make things open faster at best. more ram on older systems will let you do more without things lagging, so if your web browser is slow after being open for a while its a sign you are running out of memory, i really would abandon those for all but emergency units, always good to have enough bits to rebuild something that works, coz even a bad old pc is better than no pc

IPMSB-H61.
4GB RAM.
500mb old WD Black.
240W cheap PSU.

My first build is on my signature. Seems like I would just use it for heavy task occasionally, that's why I wanna make the second PC more decent for everyday light uses, or media center like you have.

Obiwancanabi

Proper
Dec 24, 2020

IPMSB-H61.
4GB RAM.
500mb old WD Black.
240W cheap PSU.

It can take an SSD you might be able to make things load faster, open more responsively, in general if its not had anything done to it for a while the drive is probably a lot slower than it would have been, and any normal HDD should make it feel more responsive opening windows and programs. You got any drive you can clear and spare from your main rig? do a fresh install of windows on a newer drive and give it a go, nothing really to lose, if a HDD makes it run better try an SSD, if the SSD doesnt make much of a difference than the HDD use the SSD in your main PC. it isnt something you will waste. i think you will notice the main difference in boot times, startup and shutdown will seem much quicker.
That should apply to both systems in all honesty, the thinkpad might appreciate it more than the desktop, being bumped about over the years wouldnt have done the platters many favours. I think its worth a try but i wouldnt be holding up massive hopes, it will make it feel alot newer for sure but generally wont make programs run any better or worse, once things load from the HDD to system ram its going on that, an SSD is more reliable in a laptop it can take a little more stress so maybe worth it just for that reason alone.

4GB of ram in todays operating systems might not hold up too well, it might iv not had that little for a while myselself, might not be a great idea to install windows 10, tho its generally more stable, could be a bit of a toss up what will work best, if you have time and patience try various installs going back to XP. or have a look about for some DDR3 going cheap. im not sure if you can upgrade much on the thinkpad but that would be soDIMM and your normal ram is just DIMM DDR3 8GB will give you a much better experience
while we talk cheap that old PSU might not be as reliable as it used to not be lol i wouldnt put much trust in it when you can get something with a name you can half trust, a cheap bequiet for $30 is a nice bit of peace and mind. you dont need any bells or whistles on it but a warranty is always nice :p

That'd be how i'd be looking at things if i was you anyway, i hate saying Do this Do that, id rather day how i'd go about things and why,
My big issue with things is once you start needing to replace too much you might as well take a step back and look at other routes, an SSD and PSU Ram all in will be what $100 (im in the EU here) a raspberry pi might be everything you want in a real small package, or something second hand on ebay thats been looked after as a full kit with everything you need already done

Oh and one more thing id swear by if you are networking things and sharing files between them would be a GB network card on both systems and hardwire them together, much faster than wifi, if they can take it, it makes file transfers so much faster and they are pretty cheap (im talking the towers here not much you can do with the laptop i dont think) you might need better cables depending what you are running but that will really improve on your overall experience, you can see how it starts snowballing and adding up fast lol you start poking at the SSD and before long you replaced everything :D

Whatever you decide good luck, i think you have all the info you need, its just what is going to work in your position. Sorry if i repeat myself, but id rather say things twice and make it clear than forget something critical

Last edited:
Reactions: N3wb13g
Solution

N3wb13g

Honorable
Mar 2, 2017
Thank you very much, both of you.

Like 4745454b said, it may not improve overall system on those oldies, but as Obiwancanabi suggest, it's not a waste to buy a new ssd (for older PC), while it could be used for the better rig and the price here is around $18.

Talking about replacing PSU and so on, seems like it's nice to save more and build a better little PC for media center like you have later. Cheers. 🥂

TRENDING THREADS