Would switching to USB fix this problem?

stebbinsd

Prominent
Apr 22, 2017
My new desktop computer has two 3.5mm microphone jacks. Neither of them work at all. Plugging a microphone into either of them results in no sound capture whatsoever.

I know my mic isn't the problem, because switching to my laptop fixes the problem right quick.

Uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers doesn't help either.

This is a big problem for me. I make calls with Skype, so I absolutely NEED a working mic!

If I got a USB microphone, would it work? Or do I need a whole new sound card instead? I'd prefer the USB mic if I can, as that would be cheaper.

Solution
A USB mic is simply a usb sound card of sorts anyway. It should work fine(you can even have a combination of usb/internal sound cards if required for some people).

Can you check your recording options in your OS.
I am guessing Windows so start search for sound. Then use the recording tab to see what you have selected as your default device.
A USB mic is simply a usb sound card of sorts anyway. It should work fine(you can even have a combination of usb/internal sound cards if required for some people).

Can you check your recording options in your OS.
I am guessing Windows so start search for sound. Then use the recording tab to see what you have selected as your default device.

Solution

Mister_MO

Respectable
Jul 28, 2016
USB microphone will work, it contains inside its own sound card, but getting usb sound card is cheaper if you go for cheapest one, they tend to have sound "enough for skype call".
As for your jacks, are they even connected? Front connectors need to be connected to motherboard so maybe someone just forgot plug them in? Back jacks don't work too or you didn't tried them?