Would the i7-8086K be bottlenecked by a 1060-3GB?

rekiso102

Prominent
Oct 5, 2017
My 8086K came from intel on Monday. But there’s this huge question, will it be bottlenecked. I know my system is inbalanced and I’m planning upgrades in the future. But, I want to really use this CPU and it seems like the 1060 is an issue for it

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/sN4jBb

Im going from an i3-6100 for anyone wondering.

Thanks!

Solution
That's still not really a bottleneck... A Core 2 Duo & 1080 Ti would be a bottleneck because the 1080 Ti will likely never hit 100% usage due to the Core 2. Whereas the 8086K most certainly can, it depends on what games he plays. The CPU plays no part in 'limiting graphics performance' that's why CPU performance doesn't scale with resolution, it does however define maximum frame output capabilities. By your logic a Graphics Card is always going to be a bottleneck even with matched parts like an 8600K + 1070, because the 1070 will limit maximum performance in 99% of games compared to what an 8600K is capable of outputting, i just don't like calling it a bottleneck simply because a CPU has enough overhead to allow more, bottlenecking is...

CRO5513Y

Expert
Ambassador
I wouldn't really call it a bottleneck. If anything it's the opposite, with that CPU there is no way your GTX 1060 will ever be held back and perform at full potential. Of course the 8086K can handle far stronger GPUs, this doesn't really make your GPU a bottleneck imo. It just has plenty of overhead. Hope this helps! :)

rekiso102

Prominent
Oct 5, 2017

I think it’ll be okay if I use it for now. Later when I have money for a new GPU I’ll upgrade.

rekiso102

Prominent
Oct 5, 2017

Thanks it does! I’ll just keep using it for now. And I’ll upgradw later.

The i7-8086K is more than enough to run a GTX 1060 3GB. No need to worry about a bottleneck, the GPU will be the limiting factor (aka bottleneck) and that's perfectly fine.

Actually, looking at your build your RAM could be a limiting factor because it's a single module in single-channel. You should get 2x4GB or 2x8GB for best performance. I see you already have that one, so I would purchase another one just like it or sell that one and buy a kit.

rekiso102

Prominent
Oct 5, 2017

I know the ram is an issue. But the prices are high right now, I might have to wait till next year for price drops.

The 1060 would be a bottleneck because it is the limiting factor for graphics performance.
The 1060 will be chugging along at 100% usage...and the graphics will be maxed out because of the 1060. This is why it is the bottleneck.

As far as the RAM being the bottleneck....it's possible but I have yet to hit 8GB RAM usage on any game so I'm thinking it's not "probable".

Don't agree on the ram thing. 8gbs is defo becoming an issue. There are plenty of games that push beyond 8gbs at 1080p. BF1, COD WW2, Wolfenstein 2. All use upwards 8gbs. 8gbs used to be the sweet spot. Now it's 16gbs.
Once your 8gbs maxes, it will start using the swap file, and this can cause stuttering and FPS drops. It's game dependent though.

CRO5513Y

Expert
Ambassador
That's still not really a bottleneck... A Core 2 Duo & 1080 Ti would be a bottleneck because the 1080 Ti will likely never hit 100% usage due to the Core 2. Whereas the 8086K most certainly can, it depends on what games he plays. The CPU plays no part in 'limiting graphics performance' that's why CPU performance doesn't scale with resolution, it does however define maximum frame output capabilities. By your logic a Graphics Card is always going to be a bottleneck even with matched parts like an 8600K + 1070, because the 1070 will limit maximum performance in 99% of games compared to what an 8600K is capable of outputting, i just don't like calling it a bottleneck simply because a CPU has enough overhead to allow more, bottlenecking is used way too frequently these days when systems aren't very bottlencked, because by the nature of how bottlenecks work, either a CPU or GPU will ALWAYS be a bottleneck since no part is equally capable across the board. Also like saying your Monitor is a bottleneck because your 1080 can push 100 FPS in a game but the monitor is only 60 Hz, if you understand the analogy. Just my 2 cents on the issue.

As for RAM, 8GB should run fine but plenty of modern games benefit from 16GB. PUBG will push 9-10+GB easy, Star Citizen can max even 16GB systems, ARK usually up to 12GB, to name a few i've seen personally. 8GB is usually the minimum recommendation for games these days, with 16GB increasingly becoming the strong recommendation.

Solution
The only thing you never want to be a bottleneck in gaming is the CPU. If the CPU isn't fast enough to keep up with the GPU is when you get hesitation, pausing and stutter. You always want some headroom in your CPU. A fast CPU just means more years you can keep it before you have to build a new system.

All a GPU hitting it's limit means is that is the highest FPS you will achieve. You can always fiddle with settings to get some more. It only becomes a problem when it can't deliver the FPS you want at the detail you want. You just never want video memory usage to go above what the GPU has built in.

Good answer. I like it! :)

Nov 16, 2019
so, a completely not overclocked 8086k + 16gb 2133 speed ram and a tb hdd can handle a 1060-6gb? i'll be using a tv as a screen 1080p for gaming high shaders, and 4k for some movies on rare occasion.

TRENDING THREADS