Would the R9 290x work with an A8-6600K APU?

Eddie_1

Reputable
Sep 13, 2015
Basically, I bought a gaming computer, and it came with an AMD A8-6600K APU, but no graphics card, i'm now looking to get a graphics card, preferably an R9 290X, and im not interested in the dual graphics thing AMD offers. Would an R9 290X work with my APU or would my computer continue to use the graphics processing that my APU provides? If it does not, then could anyone recommend a new processor to go with my 290x. Also, if it's at all relevant, my motherboard is an MSI A78M-E35 uATX Motherboard

P.S I'm very new to computers, so if anything I've said makes no sense, please correct me, any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
Welcome aboard. ;)
A few additional points:
What is the resolution and speed of your display? Higher resolution displays need more graphics power.
What case is the system installed in? Obviously, it'll need to be large enough to accept any upgrades.

A few useful name here in good old Blighty: Scan, Overclockers, Novatech, CCL, Dabs, Aria, Ebuyer and Maplins, amongst plenty of others.
And take a look at the Partpicker website, it's an absolute Godsend but it doesn't usually carry 'specials', for those extra discounted parts you'll need to manually search each suppliers website. :(

That power supply NEEDS to be changed, to what will be determined by your choice of upgrades.

It'd not a fire breathing dragon slaying monster but the A8...

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

290x would be too much for your cpu to handle, even overclocked you would never see full use out of that gpu.

before I can make a suggestion, could you post the make and model of your power supply and your max budget?

Eddie_1

Reputable
Sep 13, 2015

Thanks for replying, I've had a look at the power supply, and its 500 Watts, Ace ATX switching power supply with an 120 mm cooling fan. Model A-520. My max budget would be around £650 ($1003) , but i don't mind possibly going up to £700 ($1079)
(this is for everything, not just the gpu and cpu) :)

Welcome aboard. ;)
A few additional points:
What is the resolution and speed of your display? Higher resolution displays need more graphics power.
What case is the system installed in? Obviously, it'll need to be large enough to accept any upgrades.

A few useful name here in good old Blighty: Scan, Overclockers, Novatech, CCL, Dabs, Aria, Ebuyer and Maplins, amongst plenty of others.
And take a look at the Partpicker website, it's an absolute Godsend but it doesn't usually carry 'specials', for those extra discounted parts you'll need to manually search each suppliers website. :(

That power supply NEEDS to be changed, to what will be determined by your choice of upgrades.

It'd not a fire breathing dragon slaying monster but the A8 isn't a terrible gaming part either, to replace it with a worthwhile upgrade will require a switch to Intel and a new motherboard, so if you're not aiming at playing AAA titles on a 120Hz (or faster) monitor it'll most likely be enough.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS