[SOLVED] Would there be any issues running my primary gpu in my 2nd pcie slot & my 2nd gpu in the 1st slot?

themadhatta

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011
Basically doing some tests to see if i would benefit from running an older gpu as a dedicated encoding card for streaming/recording stuff.

Atm i dont wanna spend $25 on a riser that might not even fit for the test.
So i was wondering if its plausible to setup my gtx 1080 in my 2nd pcie x16 slot and run my 780 ti in the 1st pcie x16 slot. Both can run at x16 normally at the same time.

I remember there was a way to setup which gpu is the primary one for use in the nvidia control panel but its been so long i cant even remember for sure.
Is there a setting like this, and would i have any kinds of issues if i attempt this setup temporarily or even permanently?

cpu: i7-4930k @ 3.4ghz
mobo: asus rampage iv gene
ram: corsair dominator platinum 32gb @ 2133mhz
gpus: gtx 1080 + gtx 780 ti

Solution
I remember there was a way to setup which gpu is the primary one for use in the nvidia control panel but its been so long i cant even remember for sure.
Install the 780ti in the 1st pcie slot, the gtx1080 in the 2nd pcie slot, use nvidia physX, set the gtx1080 as the physX GPU, something like in the linker: https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2700/~/disabling-nvidia-physx-gpu-acceleration

But usually, you should put the 1080 in the 1st pcie slot, the 780ti in the 2nd pcie slot.
Install the 780ti in the 1st pcie slot, the gtx1080 in the 2nd pcie slot, use nvidia physX, set the gtx1080 as the physX GPU, something like in the linker: https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2700/~/disabling-nvidia-physx-gpu-acceleration

But usually, you should put the 1080 in the 1st pcie slot, the 780ti in the 2nd pcie slot.

Reactions: themadhatta
Solution

themadhatta

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011

Wait so setting physx to cpu would make my 1080 the primary gpu? Isnt that just telling the system to run phyx on the cpu instead of on any gpu? Im confused by that. I want my games and normal stuff to run off the 1080 via the 2nd pcie x16 slot. I dont really wanna put more load on my cpu unless i have to. Im using the 780 to run nvenc off of so that i can lower my current cpu and gpu usage while streaming/recording.

Whatever gpu is in the 1st pcie slot will be the primary gpu, then you can select the 2nd GPU for the phyx card, or cpu, etc. And I don't think you can turn the physx card off or on in the window by the software ( the nvidia one), but maybe in the BIOS?

themadhatta

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011
Whatever gpu is in the 1st pcie slot will be the primary gpu, then you can select the 2nd GPU for the phyx card, or cpu, etc. And I don't think you can turn the physx card off or on in the window by the software ( the nvidia one), but maybe in the BIOS?
So basically there is no way to have my gtx 1080 in my 2nd pcie x16 slot be my primary gpu, while another gpu is in the 1st pcie x16 slot?
Theres no way to tell windows to run the 1080 as the gpu i want used for everything?