Would these laptop specs be OK?

mdsimmons1118

Upstanding
Aug 6, 2018
I am wondering if a laptop with these specs would be OK to run programs like Photoshop, Illustrator, Premiere Pro, and After Effects for smaller personal projects as well as just using it for school work, Word and web browsing?
Here are the specs for laptops in my price range:
1920x1080 IPS display
Intel Core i5-8250U CPU
8 GB DDR4 RAM
256 GB SSD
No dedicated GPU however.
Keep in mind that I also do more intense tasks like 3D modeling on a desktop computer with better specs i5-6400 CPU, 16 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, and GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB GPU.
A family member is able to run Photoshop just fine on the 2017 Macbook Air base model which has lower specs than listed above but I was wondering if the laptop specs above would still be fine for programs like Premiere Pro or After Effects.

Solution
I know a lot of people that can "run Photoshop just fine" on a lesser system than the one you posted doing simple color and retouch work . So it will depend on the tasks you perform and how fast you want them to be accomplished.
If you don't have enough RAM for a project (image processing, loading, effects, etc) then Photoshop won't be able to load to RAM and work on the fly, so it will just take longer.

Most Photoshop features run faster with more processor cores.
Also, if you work with large photos, or several photos at once, or if you are performing lots of editing on each photo, then you might need 16GB or even more.

I know a lot of people that can "run Photoshop just fine" on a lesser system than the one you posted doing simple color and retouch work . So it will depend on the tasks you perform and how fast you want them to be accomplished.
If you don't have enough RAM for a project (image processing, loading, effects, etc) then Photoshop won't be able to load to RAM and work on the fly, so it will just take longer.

Most Photoshop features run faster with more processor cores.
Also, if you work with large photos, or several photos at once, or if you are performing lots of editing on each photo, then you might need 16GB or even more.

Solution
The specs seem reasonably decent to me. I suspect that software would run pretty well for the most part. The lack of a dedicated video card will hold back 3D performance, but Intel's integrated graphics should do a decent enough job in most desktop tasks, and the CPU should be within a roughly similar performance range as your desktop processor.