Question Would these two RAM cards work together?

moonshnr

Prominent
Jul 22, 2019
Henlo.
I have a ASUS H61M-A motherboard which only has two RAM slots. One of those slots currently contains a Kingston HyperX Fury 4gigs DDR3 1333MHz card, and I plan to purchase a Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB DDR3 1600MHz one. I would like to ask if the two of these could co-function, and what's there to know about "underclock", a term I've heard from a friend regarding the subject at hand. If they were to work together, wouldn't the 8GB card lose too much of its performance due to the 4GB one. Is the purchase in general worth it?

Blitz Blitz

Distinguished
May 18, 2015
Best is buy kit of rams and what is manufacturer recommends from qvl, or search identical one.

You should look timings, cl, and etc. They should be same. 1600 mhz should downclock to 1333 mhz to older slower ram. Ram don't give you too much performance boost, especialy slower ones. But 4 gb is too low for these modern days...

Reactions: moonshnr

moonshnr

Prominent
Jul 22, 2019
I’m considering only using the 8GB card, in which case it’s 4 gigs less, but it stays at 1600MHz - its full capacity, so I don’t lose performance. I’m on a budget and hence why I’m too sure about this purchase.

Blitz Blitz

Distinguished
May 18, 2015
What is your cpu? If it's 3 rd gen intel it only can run up to 1600 mhz and higher ram. For 2 nd gen cpus it only supports up to 1333 mhz ram so 1600 mhz upgrade useless for 2 nd gen cpu, but it can downclock to 1333 mhz if you buy 1600 mhz. READ THE SPECS. OF YOUR MOTHERBOARD.

I'll recommend you to buy 2 × 4 gb, or 2 × 8 gb kit of ram to run in dual channel mode, for better performance. Save your money for upgrade, you can buy used, a lot of people pick newer platforms with ddr4 rams, so ddr3 prices drop a lot. Aliexpress is also good option, but you have to wait longer. Test it with memtest if you buy used, and with only stick, then take off, and add another stick of ram for test. I like crucial brand for it's compatibility and support:

https://www.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/asus/h61m-a#memory

Look at web, or qvl for more options if you don't like crucial.

Sell your old ram.

Last edited: