Would this be a decent gaming pc?

Shadow2011

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2010
Case - Coolermaser haf x

Cpu - AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Six-core Processor - 3.20 GHz, 9 MB Cache, Socket AM3, 125W, 45 nm

Mobo -ASUS Crosshair IV Formula - AMD 890FX - Socket AM3 - PCI-E 2.0 - DDR3 1600/1800/1866 - SATA 6Gb/s RAID - SupremeFX X-Fi Audio - CrossFire - ATX

Gpu - XFX Radeon HD 5870 - Graphics adapter - Radeon HD 5870 - PCI Express 2.1 x16 - 1 GB GDDR5 - DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort

Psu - Colors-IT 750w Gold 12CM Silent Power Supply

OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate, 64 bit

HD - Western Digital WD1002FAEX Caviar Black 1 TB 7200 RPM

RAM - CORSAIR CMX4GX3M2A1600C9 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1600MHz PC3-12800 240pin DIMM Memory Module Kit

Have i missed anything? Do you think this would work or do you have any better ideas? Thanks :)

HDD, pick up a Samsung F3 1tb faster and cheaper.

Colors-It? I've never heard of it. Seems your buying off newegg is that correct?

You seem to have a lot of money for this build. Wait for SB. Not everything that is the most expensive is always the best thing for the computer. Think about picking up two 6850's in Crossfire and that'll be better.

SB: http://www.anandtech.com/show/3871/the-sandy-bridge-preview-three-wins-in-a-row

Also, if you want your build now, drop the 1090T. Not worth the money, your better off buying something like an i5 750. If you want to stick with AMD get a 955. Then drop the Crosshair for like a http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157208

Shadow2011

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2010
Thankss, yeh i will change to the samsung.

Mostly buying off amazon, its kinda cheap. I dont think i can order from newegg since i live in the uk or can i?

I might wait for SB but if its to expensive might stick with amd. If i change to i5 what Mobo would go well with that?

Btw i found that XFX Radeon HD 5870 for £170 and one 6850 is £140 o_O

Well one thing about the 5870, Amazon doesn't sell some products directly. Some are from distributors. Make sure they are trusted before you buy from them. What resolution are you playing games at?

Also, SB is going to be the same pricing structure. http://www.lowyat.net/v2/intel-sandy-bridge-processors-and-mobos-spotted-at-local-retailer.html

So the i5 2400S is 200$ US, translate that to UK and it'll be the same price. A good current 1156 mobo is a Fuzion from MSI but that's from me in the US.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3871/the-sandy-bridge-preview-three-wins-in-a-row

Samsung shmamsung. It may be a .001 millisecond faster, but it sure does NOT have the warranty that Western Digital offers. Keep the WD. You'll never notice the difference.

The build looks great (except the psu), I would probably drop the 1090T for a 1075T. It'll clock the same and it's cheaper. Also if you only plan on running 1 video card at a time, then forget the expensive FX and get a GX or X motherboard, that will save you quite a bit of cash.

Mr_x

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2010
Go for a Phenom II x4 if u are just gonaa use it for gaming,
im running a 965 and it runs better than my pals x6, we both hav almost the same config
x

Shadow2011

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2010

I would wait for SB and see from there thanks,
also do you think i should buy parts now and wait for SB for the Psu and mobo or buy everything in one go because there will be a VAT increase 4th Jan :mad:

Well then I think you should get the memory, gpu, hdd, case, and psu, and periphedals january second then you'll have a time to return or rma if needed. Since you said the vat increase won't be until the fourth. Ummm the rest can be bought later when you see the sb prices. As for cheaper route. As others said, the phenom 955 is a good route if you want to save some cash. So the 955 is a great choice, the 965 isn't even that great its just a higher clocked 955 but only oc to the same level so yeah.

GoldenI

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010
Seagate has very good HDDs, as well. The difference between a Seagate Barrcuda 1TB HDD and the Samsung Spinpoint F3 is marginal. Seagate and Samsung are both very good and reliable brands, however. You can't go wrong with either one. :)

I've had horrible problems with Seagate drives. I had 4 fail in 1 computer in a year. I also got hit with the firmware bug. Never ever again. Done with Seagate.

Never ever had a WD fail on me, ever.

Yeah well that's impossible. If you have a X4 at 3.2 and your friend has a X6 at 3.2, yours cannot be faster, it would be the same, except in cases where more than 4 cores can be used, in that case his X6 would trounce you X4.

wdave

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2010
The problem with that logic is that all games would have to support 4+ more cores in order to take advantage over that. With that not being the case it's hard to recommend it over an X4, unless you are going to be encoding while playing a game.
Even with that in mind its hard to take it over an X4 or an i7 in gaming.

Pick your poison, its great for encoding, but for gaming the X4 is more of a deal and you can spend that little bit more on a better graphics card.

wdave, I agree. But I'll tell you right now, a 955 can do anything you really want/intend to do. It does gaming fine at a lower price than most. But if you really want more CPU firepower, I'd say a better choice isn't the X6's but the i5 750. Maybe even waiting for the Intel SB i5 2400S which is going to be the same price as the 750. Soo, my 2 cents on cpus.

wdave

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2010
aznshinobi, I would agree that the i5 would be a better choice if you want more CPU firepower.
I just do not understand all the people who cannot wait till January 5 for Sb to show up. Unless AMD surprises everyone with Bulldozer, And/or Bobcat during CES.

Right now it is a waiting game.
Although I would still encourage people to buy lets say a Hard Drive or RAM if they find it cheap :kaola: