Would this be a decent gaming rig?

xbcoolsx

Honorable
Jul 9, 2012
Hello,
I'm wondering if this would be a decent setup for gaming; I want it to play Battlefield 3 and games similar demand on high/ultra settings on a 1920x1080 screen with at 40-50 fps.
The computer specifications are:
HP (P7-1380T model)
i5 2320 3.0 ghz (6mb cache) (Is there a way to overclock this?)
6 gb ram DDR3 PC3 (4gb x 1, 2gb x 1)
750W Corsair PSU
7850 HD Radeon 2GB MSI (twin Frozr II, OC)
1 TB Hard drive 7200rpm
Intel H61 chipset, Foxconn motherboard: Front side bus: up to 5 GT/s

Thanks in advance, and I appreciate any feedback/suggestions on anything I should improve.

As far as an OEM out of the box system, that should be pretty decent. You can not overclock an OEM machine's CPU. They have an OEM BIOS that doesn't allow it. Why would they let you if they are selling CPU upgrades for a higher cost?

It looks like you are planning to upgrade the power supply and video card yourself. If so I would advise you to do your research and make sure that PSU and video card physically fit in the case. I've had buddies who didn't do this and got them self in a pickle. I'd advise on a modular PSU since the OEM cases are not usually forgiving on space and you may find it hard to tuck cables away. You can also save some money if you get a good 500-600W PSU rather than a 750W. There is no way that system including a 7850 would need that much power. Also, with that savings you could bump up your video card a model or two. I keep telling people, "If you are a gamer, shoot for the GTX670". You will be a happy man. (women/boy/girl whatever). If you intend to play BF3 you will need all the graphics power you can get.

A side note to go along with the others and another consideration. Try building your own PC. They are far easier to put together these days than when I started(486 w/ dozen of jumpers). You will get more for your money, learn a thing or two, and they are far easier to upgrade. If that is not an option you can always consider a brand that uses retail parts like an iBuyPower or CyberPowerPC. They are basically PC's you could build yourself, except prebuild with a warranty. A coworker of mine got a good deal on a CyberPowerPC 2 years ago and has since upgraded several components and it's a champ.

yep i third that. better to buy and build yourslef. its not hard. just a couple of hours of step by step reading a very easy to follow manual. remembering to go page 1-2-3 not 1-7-6-2-3-4 works wonders. ;)
also ibuypower is getting a good reputation of late fro giving Internet prices on there user picked builds. there parts are pretty good on the whole. just remember to buy an adequate psu as they dont tell you if you havent.

^
A "K" designation means that the CPU multiplier is unlocked. Any CPU can be overclocked, but non "K" chips must be overclocked via a bus speed increase. 99% of OEM motherboards do not allow you to tweak these bus speeds, they are set to stock speeds and can not be modified. 99% of retail motherboards allow you to tweak these settings.