[SOLVED] Would this be worth it?

hephaistos

Reputable
Feb 23, 2018
I currently have 2x4gb ddr3 ram sticks running at 1333mhz. Since I am not upgrading my mobo this year, I was wondering if I should consider a ram upgrade to 1866mhz or even higher. I will be doing gaming, these are the rest of my specs:
-cpu: i5-4590
-gpu: GTX 1060 3GB
a hdd and an ssd
-mobo Gigabyte h81m-s1
Thanks guyz

Solution
With Intel, faster RAM does not give much benefit.

There might be one or two issues going on - for some games, 8GB may not be enough. Also, for some games, the 3GB VRAM on the video card may slow things down.

What resolution and refresh rate is your monitor?

What games are you playing.

Tentatively, I want to say that maybe it's best not to upgrade anything at all, and wait until next year, if that's when you're planning for the mobo upgrade/moving to a modern platform.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
With Intel, faster RAM does not give much benefit.

There might be one or two issues going on - for some games, 8GB may not be enough. Also, for some games, the 3GB VRAM on the video card may slow things down.

What resolution and refresh rate is your monitor?

What games are you playing.

Tentatively, I want to say that maybe it's best not to upgrade anything at all, and wait until next year, if that's when you're planning for the mobo upgrade/moving to a modern platform.

Solution
Upgrading to 16GB of RAM, or better yet, finding an 8 thread i7 Haswell/Refresh CPU, would probably be the MUCH better upgrades if you desire to stay on the platform you have for now.

An i7-4770, 4770k, 4790 or 4790k would likely offer far more in terms of a performance increase than anything you could do with the memory INCLUDING increasing the capacity, although that couldn't hurt either, but is probably not worth buying an entirely new set for since that is what you'd have to do in light of having only two DIMM slots.

I don't agree that waiting until next year is advisable if you NEED an upgrade now. Maybe waiting until the new Ryzen SKUs are released in July, but not necessarily until next year. There is always something better on the horizon and if we always waited for it we'd never do anything, frozen with indecision. There are options, places to go from where you are now, that offer real benefits in terms of performance advantages, now.

hephaistos

Reputable
Feb 23, 2018
Upgrading to 16GB of RAM, or better yet, finding an 8 thread i7 Haswell/Refresh CPU, would probably be the MUCH better upgrades if you desire to stay on the platform you have for now.

An i7-4770, 4770k, 4790 or 4790k would likely offer far more in terms of a performance increase than anything you could do with the memory INCLUDING increasing the capacity, although that couldn't hurt either, but is probably not worth buying an entirely new set for since that is what you'd have to do in light of having only two DIMM slots.

I don't agree that waiting until next year is advisable if you NEED an upgrade now. Maybe waiting until the new Ryzen SKUs are released in July, but not necessarily until next year. There is always something better on the horizon and if we always waited for it we'd never do anything, frozen with indecision. There are options, places to go from where you are now, that offer real benefits in terms of performance advantages, now.
Actually, I AM just upgrading from the i5-4590T :) to the 4590. I hope this one will not bottleneck my gpu ,and this year I'll be playing gta 5 and maybe watch dogs 2. I know 3gb isn't much but it was certainly n upgrade from the 950. So I guess I won't have to worry about ram. Thanks guyz!!!