[SOLVED] Would this bottleneck?

eternalabys

Honorable
Nov 8, 2018
I'm building a new gaming rig on a budget so I'm going to use a used GPU for it, question is, would an R5 2600 (OC'd mind you, yes I know about silicon lottery and how unlikely you'll get higher clocks than boost, but I digress), now, for the GPU I'm going to use a used GTX 1080 (specifically the Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 8 GB Turbo OC, yes I know its a blower model and will be loud as all hell under load, but, it's the cheapest at 260 Euros (288.47 Dollars). It may be Overkill for the system, but Hey, for a first build I want it to last awhile as I'm not likely to even get all of the money for it and may have to do it year by year getting the parts, but, hopefully i'll get most of it!

Edit: For those who are curious my PC specs are going to be:
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600 (Figures)
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 Turbo OC (No way!)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) 3000MHz CL15
Motherboard: Asrock B450M Pro4
Case: Fractal Design Focus G
PSU: Corsair TXM 550W
Storage: Reusing my old stuff so a 120GB Adata SSD and a 320GB 7200RPM HDD

Last edited:
Solution
I believe you will be fine. Especially at higher screen resolutions. But even at 1080p, the 2600 should be able to handle the GTX 1080 w/o bottleneck. If there are any games that it would bottleneck, I can't think of one right now.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
I believe you will be fine. Especially at higher screen resolutions. But even at 1080p, the 2600 should be able to handle the GTX 1080 w/o bottleneck. If there are any games that it would bottleneck, I can't think of one right now.

Solution

eternalabys

Honorable
Nov 8, 2018
I'm pretty sure blowers are not only loud but they don't cool very well either and if you want to get full performance with that 1080 buy a ryzen 7 2700x only $160 link here: https://www.microcenter.com/product...-am4-boxed-processor-with-wraith-prism-cooler

Well the advertisement on gigabytes site says that it cools 20% better than founder edition, but I think it's just marketing, I'm going to replace the thermal paste anyways considering it's a used card so it might help reduce the overall temps and noise. Also, I live in Lithuania (EU) so most of the tech is going to be coming from amazon.de (Germany) and we have a couple of local stores that sell most of the stuff I'm going to use.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Reference cards with their single fan and full shroud are not quite the heat/noise demon they used to be. The once high-end GTX 780 Reference (same class as the 1080 back in 2013) for example was a 250W TDP card. The 1080 Reference is "only" a 180W TDP card. Of course, OC'ing changes all that.

eternalabys

Honorable
Nov 8, 2018
Reference cards with their single fan and full shroud are not quite the heat/noise demon they used to be. The once high-end GTX 780 Reference (same class as the 1080 back in 2013) for example was a 250W TDP card. The 1080 Reference is "only" a 180W TDP card. Of course, OC'ing changes all that.
I've seen people OC this card above 2000 MHz and keep it on load.