[SOLVED] Would this Inno3d GTX 1050Ti work with this motherboard? help.

wrathofliom63

Honorable
Aug 5, 2018
Hello everyone,

I have a fairly old pc that I was wondering if I could connect a gtx 1050ti to, in particular, this one:

https://www.inno3d.com/en/PRODUCT_INNO3D_GeForce_GTX_1050_Ti_X2_2

My Motherboard: Hewlett Packard 1494

This does have an option to boot into "EFI", and I've heard UEFI and EFI are the same thing, but I normally use legacy bios on it, and have never really tried EFI on it.

I've heard the GTX 1050Ti is a UEFI only card. Will it work?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Solution
Yes, there are quite a few posts regarding this on the HP forums, not to mention you have found the EFI setting in the BIOS which confirms it is EFI compliant. Theoretically, you could run a brand new RTX3050 as well. Oddly the OEMs jumped on the EFI bandwagon a little earlier than most retail boards.

If you've been running a GTX750 (55W), then you shouldn't have too much trouble with a 1050Ti (75W). That extra load does mean a little extra heat on the PSU, so it will subtly shorten its remaining lifespan.

You are at the point of seriously needing to consider a replacement CPU/Motherboard/Ram/PSU/boot drive. You can pick up used 6th gen machine for a few hundred (with SSDs) Or build yourself a budget AMD rig for only a little more.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Should work fine, a relatively modern motherboard.

If you do have to switch from legacy to EFI, then you will need to re-install the OS from scratch. You won't be able to use the HP image/recovery discs if it was setup for legacy.

wrathofliom63

Honorable
Aug 5, 2018
Should work fine, a relatively modern motherboard.

If you do have to switch from legacy to EFI, then you will need to re-install the OS from scratch. You won't be able to use the HP image/recovery discs if it was setup for legacy.

That shouldn't be a problem. I'll install a new version of Windows 10 Pro, but this time by booting into EFI.

Thanks for clarifying it would work!

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Should being the operative word. This is an HP/Compaq/Emachine motherboard, so it won't be as universally compatible as a retail off the shelf board.

You also need to make sure the PSU in the system can handle the additional load from the GPU.

wrathofliom63

Honorable
Aug 5, 2018
Should being the operative word. This is an HP/Compaq/Emachine motherboard, so it won't be as universally compatible as a retail off the shelf board.

You also need to make sure the PSU in the system can handle the additional load from the GPU.

I understand. But you are fairly certain that it'll work, yes?

I have a HP dps-320nb-1a 320 Watt PSU.

Overall, I have an HP Compaq 8200 Elite CMT Convertible Minitower, with 8GB of Ram (2 sticks of 4s), and Intel i5-2400 @ 3.10GHz.

This already has a ASUS GTX 750 1GB installed, but it's pretty much dead which is why I wanna replace the gpu. If that one worked, the 1050ti would too, wouldn't it?

Thanks.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Yes, there are quite a few posts regarding this on the HP forums, not to mention you have found the EFI setting in the BIOS which confirms it is EFI compliant. Theoretically, you could run a brand new RTX3050 as well. Oddly the OEMs jumped on the EFI bandwagon a little earlier than most retail boards.

If you've been running a GTX750 (55W), then you shouldn't have too much trouble with a 1050Ti (75W). That extra load does mean a little extra heat on the PSU, so it will subtly shorten its remaining lifespan.

You are at the point of seriously needing to consider a replacement CPU/Motherboard/Ram/PSU/boot drive. You can pick up used 6th gen machine for a few hundred (with SSDs) Or build yourself a budget AMD rig for only a little more.

Solution

wrathofliom63

Honorable
Aug 5, 2018

I'll look into building a new one, I already have a plan to actually, but that's after I'm done with school. For now though, I don't want something too over the top, just something which can survive another year or two and can run modern-ish games at 1080p, even at low settings. I believe the 1050Ti would be a good card for my situation.

Thanks for your insight tho!

TRENDING THREADS