Would this setup work as a normal pc?

Richez

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2015
Hi would this setup be usable as a normal everyday pc?

I recently got 500 bucks from my 16th birthday party and im wondering if this pc/server setup will work fine as a normal pc including gaming.

The parts im thinking of using are:

Motherboard:
Supermicro X8dtl-3f atx dual socket motherboard

processors:
Dual e5640 xeons

cpu coolers
Cooler master hyper 212 evo (two coolers)

Case:
Corsair SPEC-ALPHA+1 extra af120 fan

Ram:
DDR3 24gb ecc registered 1333mhz

Power supply: evga 750 g2 750w

I just want to know any warnings other than the fact it might boot slower or the fans might ramp up when booting.

Solution

None that you don't know about. In my case it's just a long boot time, and every time I boot it up, the beeper plays this tone that's sometimes inconvenient and annoying but I don't think your board has a beeper so you're good. People say that the lower GHz of the Xeon's make them bad for gaming but in my experience it's no more than 10fps less than the equivalent 6700k setup.

bwinzey

Respectable
Jun 26, 2016
Are you not planning to get a graphics card? The built in graphics are pretty bad, at least for gaming, I have dual E5-2670's in an Intel DBS2600COE with 32gb ram and a PowerColor Devil R9 390X and it works perfectly for gaming and normal use.

bwinzey

Respectable
Jun 26, 2016

In my case I just got an ATX12V splitter since it was easier to find and probably cheaper than a PSU that comes with 2 already.

kanewolf

Titan

I wouldn't trust twice the current on a single feed. But it is your choice to live dangerously.

Richez

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2015
I have all of the hardware figured out but i want to know how it would operate as a pc also i would need a sound card if i were to use my headset or i would have to use the hdmi on the graphics card as a sound output
L

Richez

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2015
Well the servers chassis always runs hot and ik its cheaper but this in my setup i believe will run slightly cooler as i will have all the air directed as exhausts and all 6 fans will be in the pc

bwinzey

Respectable
Jun 26, 2016

Some monitors have a headphone port that works through HDMI, in that case you wouldn't need a sound card. Otherwise you can get a cheap USB audio adapter, which is not of very good quality, or spend around $20 on a used sound card which is better than most on-board audio nowadays.

kanewolf

Titan

You will require Windows PRO or better. Windows Home won't work with dual sockets.

bwinzey

Respectable
Jun 26, 2016

Good to know... I guess I got lucky that I got Windows 10 Pro otherwise my computer wouldn't have worked.

bwinzey

Respectable
Jun 26, 2016

None that you don't know about. In my case it's just a long boot time, and every time I boot it up, the beeper plays this tone that's sometimes inconvenient and annoying but I don't think your board has a beeper so you're good. People say that the lower GHz of the Xeon's make them bad for gaming but in my experience it's no more than 10fps less than the equivalent 6700k setup.

Solution

Richez

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2015
Well these cpus clock speeds are 2.66ghz and they boost up to 2.93ghz
So they will do fine for gaming as well as some heavier things like if i were to start streaming games again lol or if i were to host servers for a game also im using 1 1tb wd blue to start then i might get a second.

i have a wd blue thats been used since new it came in a prebuilt hp from 2008 and was heavily used by my older brother on that pc but it still works perfectly in my 150 dollar pc which is using high end amd parts of 2007. Go am2 lmao

Its built in a dell e521 so when i wanted more storage instead of the 80 gb with vista i took the windows 7 hdd out of the hp and put it into the dell with no problems since almost every part is very similar. Then i bought a cpu which was the athlon 64x2 6400+ then i bought 8gb ddr2 800mhz then i bought the gtx 745 almost a year later. Also had to put a dell 755 intel cpu cooler in it since it was the best cooler thT would mount up. The old pc is still using its original psu

Richez

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2015
well anyone wondering and a mod might get mad at me for bringing up this old thread BUT i had great luck with the system and made a couple modifications to the system.

CPU upgrade to x5675's and ssd's and also a 980ti hybrid and only thing i had to take care of over the years was keeping the chipset cool (positioned a fan just right under the gpu) as it has a rather large heatsink and there wasnt that much airflow in the bottom of the case.
Once Vulkan came around holy cow that system put in work and worked well with many modern titles with the gpu. It was lacking on the single core performance though so GTA V and Minecraft(mainly modpacks) struggled. I Livestreamed alot on the pc and now finally as of a month ago i upgraded to a ryzen 3700x in an itx case and it was definitely an upgrade in the way of single core performance

lol made it alot longer than i thought it would it is now my remote 12tb storage system and now also hosts a virtual machine or two

R.I.P. Dual Xeon PC 2016-2021