Question Would this work?

Jakehx

Reputable
Mar 31, 2020
I have a B450 Tomahawk Max with 2x8GB Viper Steel DDR4 3600 Mhz.

I'm looking to increase the memory as the B450 has four PCI slots, so trying to find the same DDR4 kit. My model is PVS416G360C7K, however I can only find a kit that ends with the model number C8K. Is that likely going to cause any issues?

Or should I just bite the bullet and upgrade the RAM in it's entirety?

TIA

Hey there,

Well, mixing and matching ram, even if similar, is not a good idea.

Ideally you should get a 2 x 16gb kit, and sell your current ram to offset the cost. Although the timings and voltage would be the same, the DIMMs would be made at different times and different silicon, so it's very possible they won't work together with your current kit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jakehx

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
I'm looking to increase the memory as the B450 has four PCI slots

1st time i hear RAM DIMM slots being called PCI slots. :unsure:

PCI slots are old Peripheral Component Interconnect revision slots, where GPUs and other stuff plugged in. Nowadays, we use newer revision of PCI called as: PCI-E.

Is that likely going to cause any issues?
Yes.

Further reading: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...y-ram-and-xmp-profile-configurations.3398926/
Especially "mixed memory" chapter.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I have a B450 Tomahawk Max with 2x8GB Viper Steel DDR4 3600 Mhz.

I'm looking to increase the memory as the B450 has four PCI slots, so trying to find the same DDR4 kit. My model is PVS416G360C7K, however I can only find a kit that ends with the model number C8K. Is that likely going to cause any issues?

Or should I just bite the bullet and upgrade the RAM in it's entirety?

TIA
Buy you a 2X16gb set and try to sell what you have now. Nothing worse then buying more and it doesn't work together then your right back where you started.