[SOLVED] Would Toshiba S55 Series laptop operate ECC ram?

Alter103

Commendable
Dec 20, 2019
Hello dear forumers.

My Toshiba S55D-5383 laptop has DDR3 2x4GB 1600 Non-ECC 1.35v rams installed. I need to upgrade memory and the max is 16gb, thus 2x8GB needed.

I see affordable options with Apple Rams, specifically Apple SO-DIMM DDR3 1867MHz 2x8GB ECC ( Product code: MLFY2G/A ). Upon checking in some resources I see it says Unbuffered which is good news. But would my system support these ECC rams (in Non-ECC mode)?

Previously I tried to talk with Dynabook support regarding my motherboard specifications, but they didn't give me any good answer - told to read manual (nothing is indicated there) or to send repair service - nothing close to technical support in answers from the "technical support" department. So talking to Dynabook was useless time spent. How may I know specifications of the motherboard?

And what do you think - why there are so many Apple ram options (in gray boxes) offered, and mostly are lower priced than Non-ECC PC rams? Could they be fake Chinese brands hidden behind gray non retail "Apple" boxes?

Solution
Yes, more than likely fakes if the prices are significantly cheaper and is on some sort of 'marketplace' site where the scammers can hide behind the platform. Also, not all systems can use ecc as non-ecc correctly, so that might not be the best route to savings.

DDR3 is older now, so there is much more supply in the genuine used department than in new, and because of that most of the new ones being sold are fakes. So not only are used modules generally better because they are genuine, but they are also cheaper. You should be able to get a nice set of Corsair Vengence for around $60 used or you can buy the same set new at just under $100 at a reputable retailer. I actually have 2x of these that I bought brand new in my hp 8760w for...
Yes, more than likely fakes if the prices are significantly cheaper and is on some sort of 'marketplace' site where the scammers can hide behind the platform. Also, not all systems can use ecc as non-ecc correctly, so that might not be the best route to savings.

DDR3 is older now, so there is much more supply in the genuine used department than in new, and because of that most of the new ones being sold are fakes. So not only are used modules generally better because they are genuine, but they are also cheaper. You should be able to get a nice set of Corsair Vengence for around $60 used or you can buy the same set new at just under $100 at a reputable retailer. I actually have 2x of these that I bought brand new in my hp 8760w for a total of 32gb. And this is just one module that will work since your laptop is using the most popular DDR3 module specs.

Solution

Alter103

Commendable
Dec 20, 2019

DDR3 is older now, so there is much more supply in the genuine used department than in new, and because of that most of the new ones being sold are fakes. So not only are used modules generally better because they are genuine, but they are also cheaper. You should be able to get a nice set of Corsair Vengence for around $60 used or you can buy the same set new at just under $100 at a reputable retailer. I actually have 2x of these that I bought brand new in my hp 8760w for a total of 32gb. And this is just one module that will work since your laptop is using the most popular DDR3 module specs.

I was also questioning how there could be so many Brand new packs these days for Apple while it is older technology? On another hand - who buys them? Apple computers are not easy in memory upgrades due to case needed to be completely removed rather than only memory cover like in most pc laptops. Maybe they are leftovers. But still having them on sale around 35$ for 2x8GB sticks seems suspicious a bit anyway.

I was also questioning how there could be so many Brand new packs these days for Apple while it is older technology? On another hand - who buys them? Apple computers are not easy in memory upgrades due to case needed to be completely removed rather than only memory cover like in most pc laptops. Maybe they are leftovers. But still having them on sale around 35$ for 2x8GB sticks seems suspicious a bit anyway.
The upgrade for an Apple isn't that bad as I did my wife's. And this is the allure for Mac owners who don't want to pay Apple prices. But these type of system owners typically don't deal with shady stuff, so they have no idea what they are in for. And if something goes wrong, they will most likely blame themselves for not paying 'full price' at the Apple store vs realizing they got ripped off. I've seen more Apple fakes than anything else, especially their cables and other accessories. And the problem starts in the same country the virus started. My wife's childhood buddy is the person in charge of the batteries for the newest iphone and even with very proprietary security measures on each battery, he was able to find fake batteries there. You have no security after you give the locksmith your keys...

This is why memory module manufacturing should come back to the US. The US companies have lost a lot of money and worse, their technology to the ccp. Take away the manufacturing from the ccp and we get our jobs and our lead back because the imitators will never beat the innovators. Plus, we can help thwart the world domination war started by the ccp that is currently undergoing under the guise of a 'pandemic'.

Reactions: Alter103