Would two HD6450s run 4 displays at 1080p?

HeisenbergCA

Honorable
Feb 2, 2014
I need to run four monitors on my computer (@1080p), not for gaming but for running RDP sessions, SSH sessions, Excel spreadsheets, Visual Studio/Eclipse, etc.

I have an ASUS M5A97 R2.0 motherboard with a 600W PSU. If I were to buy two AMD Radeon HD 6450 Graphics cards, and set them up with CrossFire on my system, would I be able to run four monitors?

I'm looking at this one: http://www.ncix.com/detail/asus-radeon-hd-6450-650mhz-c7-76100.htm

On the AMD site it says that this card has a Displayport, but on NCIX it doesn't say that and there is no Displayport in the picture either.

AMD Site: http://www.amd.com/en-gb/products/graphics/desktop/6000/6450

Solution

That's my understanding. If a card has four monitor outputs, I believe it will support four simultaneous outputs, though it would be worth posting the chosen card back here just so we can make sure before you buy. You also need to make sure the outputs on the card matches the inputs on your monitors, or you'll need adapters.

I've never had a good experience buying used electronics to be honest which is why I am trying to stay away from eBay.
Understandable. You'll want to go check Newegg, then. I think they let you filter by number of display outputs, so it shouldn't be too hard to find some options.

I couldn't find '970' or '960', did you mean 7970?
He was...

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
You don't need (and that card doesn't support) Crossfire. Enabling Crossfire disables the ports on the second card. That said, buying multiple cheap video cards to get more display outputs is a mistake. Just get one card that has the outputs you want. The HD 7970 can be had on eBay for like $100 these days, and has four outputs on it, and is ten times faster than the HD 6450, which is basically the shittiest card AMD made two generations back. You don't want that anywhere near your computer, even if you're not playing games.

HeisenbergCA

Honorable
Feb 2, 2014

Ah, I didn't realize that enabling CrossFire would disable ports. The only HD 7970 I found on NCIX.com is $450. Is there a cheaper card that I can use instead?

McDuncun

Honorable

Dude don`t curse, the admins will censor it anyway....

Oh yeah and a 2500K @ 5.25 won`t be realistic...

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010

I said eBay, not retail. But really, any video card with the outputs you need will work, since all you want is a lot of monitors. If you really want a retail card for the warranty and such, you'll want to go explore Newegg or something like that and compare by available outputs. Shouldn't need any special qualifications, just make sure it has the right outputs for you.

Dude don`t curse, the admins will censor it anyway....
Then let them censor it or do the rational thing and implement a filter, like every other site out there. Barring that, let them punish me. I don't care.

Oh yeah and a 2500K @ 5.25 won`t be realistic...
Are you under the impression that that was some kind of goal I had? I achieved that overclock three years ago. That's what the validation means. It even has a timestamp. And yes, it was stable. I even benchmarked it. I've got a validation at 5.35 GHz that wouldn't bench, and my 3770k benching at 5.1 GHz with two cores disabled (the validation is right below that 2500k validation you don't believe). Oh, both were done on air. With a Hyper 212+.

But please go on telling me that it's not realistic to have done what I did three years ago.

HeisenbergCA

Honorable
Feb 2, 2014

I couldn't find '970' or '960', did you mean 7970? If someone can point me to a graphics card that isn't too beefed up for gaming but is beefed up enough to run four monitors without any issues.

HeisenbergCA

Honorable
Feb 2, 2014

Ok, so as long as a card has four displayports, i'm good?

I've never had a good experience buying used electronics to be honest which is why I am trying to stay away from eBay.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010

That's my understanding. If a card has four monitor outputs, I believe it will support four simultaneous outputs, though it would be worth posting the chosen card back here just so we can make sure before you buy. You also need to make sure the outputs on the card matches the inputs on your monitors, or you'll need adapters.

Understandable. You'll want to go check Newegg, then. I think they let you filter by number of display outputs, so it shouldn't be too hard to find some options.

I couldn't find '970' or '960', did you mean 7970?
He was talking about the GTX 970 and 960. They're mid-high end gaming video cards, and not really appropriate suggestions for your use case where all you want is display outputs. You can get the outputs much cheaper than current generation mid range video cards.

Solution

McDuncun

Honorable

Dude how can you say that..... The 960 will be great for that. It can run 4 displays on it`s own and you don`t even need to do it with the other ports. Just split the DP...