Would two WD Red 3tbs make more noise than one WD Red 6tb?

robbob_70

Honorable
Sep 16, 2012
Hi,
I've been looking around to find a quiet option for storage. WD Red seem to have the quietest large capacity HDDs.
The 3tb drives are a bit quieter than the 6tb ones, as indicated on this page:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article29-page2.html
WD Red 3tb: vibration 9 Airborne Acoustics(dBA@1m) 13~14
WD Red 6tb: vibration 8 Airborne Acoustics(dBA@1m) 14~15

Would two WD Red 3tbs make more noise than one WD Red 6tb?

I plan to decouple them from the frame to reduce vibration noise. I'm not sure if this is possible with multiple HDDs.. Which makes me lean towards the 6tb more..
Thanks

Solution
I'd say yes, but the difference will be small.

The formula for working out the sound level in dB from multiple identical sources is Lt = Ls + 10 log n, where Lt is the total sound level, Ls is the level from one sourcce and n is the number of sources.

Here, in the best case, we have Ls = 13 dB; n is 2, of course. So Lt = 13 + (10 × log 2) = 13 + (10 × 0.301...) = 13 + 3 = 16. The highest value stated for the 6 TB drive is 15 dB.

These are extraordinarily low noise levels - if you're isolating the drives from the chassis and thus avoiding the "loudspeaker" effect of the case panels, you'll have to listen very hard to hear them in a normal room. My old 2.5" WD VelociRaptor is listed as having 29 dB noise levels and that's barely...
Doubling the same/identical acoustic will increase the sound level with 3dBA. So, two WD Red 3TB at 13dBA ~ 14dBA each will have a total airborne acoustics of 16dBA ~ 17dBA @ 1m.

Since one WD Red 6TB has 14dBA ~ 15dBA @ 1m, then, the two WD Red 3TBs will make more noise.

molletts

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009
I'd say yes, but the difference will be small.

The formula for working out the sound level in dB from multiple identical sources is Lt = Ls + 10 log n, where Lt is the total sound level, Ls is the level from one sourcce and n is the number of sources.

Here, in the best case, we have Ls = 13 dB; n is 2, of course. So Lt = 13 + (10 × log 2) = 13 + (10 × 0.301...) = 13 + 3 = 16. The highest value stated for the 6 TB drive is 15 dB.

These are extraordinarily low noise levels - if you're isolating the drives from the chassis and thus avoiding the "loudspeaker" effect of the case panels, you'll have to listen very hard to hear them in a normal room. My old 2.5" WD VelociRaptor is listed as having 29 dB noise levels and that's barely audible unless I deliberately quieten the room and turn off the PC's fans.

Solution

zarmaan

Reputable
Sep 7, 2014
Two drives will take more power too which will increase the load on power supply too and will generate more heat than a single drive which in turn result in less efficient machine but will protect some data if 1 drive fails opposed to all the data at risk with a single drive.

^ I wouldn't even consider power to be an issues these - drives use 3.5w each - that's not going to make the slightest difference to efficiency or PSU temps.

Id always take a pair of 3tb drives over a single 6gb, smaller drives are generally more reliable & run cooler because the platter density is lower .
You'll also get better performance & if 1 drive happens to die you still have then other one.

Whats your actual use for these drives ??
Would determine whether id consider running raid or not