[SOLVED] Would upgrading cpu from a haswell i5 to a comet lake i5 and mobo need a clean install of windows 10?

Fs19Man68000

Prominent
Apr 3, 2021
I am currently saving money for when my haswell system fails and to upgrade to a comet lake i5. I was wondering if I would need to reinstall the os for this. All thoughts on the matter are appreciated.

Solution
Wait. I have tinkered in older os (windows 98) and when I switch the hard drive it just gets a bunch of drivers and still runs.
Don't count on it.

Moving windows to another pc can and will result in some (or all) of following issues:
boot mode compatibility (system doesn't boot),​
drivers compatibility (crashes, bsods, bad performance),​
windows activation issues (can not activate windows).​
Which eactly issues you get, depends on hardware differences between old and new system.

Anyway - with motherboard change, you're supposed to reinstall windows.

kanewolf

Titan
I am currently saving money for when my haswell system fails and to upgrade to a comet lake i5. I was wondering if I would need to reinstall the os for this. All thoughts on the matter are appreciated.
A clean OS install is ALWAYS recommended when a motherboard change happens. You might get lucky and your old install will work, but you should PLAN as though it won't. Have all the install media and keys ready to go. Backups of personal files.
Assume the worst and hope for better.

Wait. I have tinkered in older os (windows 98) and when I switch the hard drive it just gets a bunch of drivers and still runs.
Don't count on it.

Moving windows to another pc can and will result in some (or all) of following issues:
boot mode compatibility (system doesn't boot),​
drivers compatibility (crashes, bsods, bad performance),​
windows activation issues (can not activate windows).​
Which eactly issues you get, depends on hardware differences between old and new system.

Anyway - with motherboard change, you're supposed to reinstall windows.

Solution