[SOLVED] Would upgrading ddr3 ram from 8gb to 16gb make a big improvement in gaming?

alphacoyle

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
Kid's current gaming pc is old XPS8300 i5-2400, plays Roblox, some steam games like People Playground etc. We've noticed some Roblox games the FPS will dip quite a bit in gameplay and wondered if it'd make enough of a difference to upgrade the ram to 16gb? Thing is all 4 slots are filled with 2gb so would have to get all four 4gb which might cost up to $50 depending on what deal I might find online. Or is the i5-2400 going to bottleneck any advantages of the ram, as well as it's on 40mb wifi.

Solution
I don't think it'd be a worthwhile investment, not a platform that old. If you do get a good deal on a 4x4GB DDR3-1600Mhz kit, then go for it, but for the cost of that DDR3 kit, I'm sure you're up the alley with a DDR4 ram kit which is faster, and dumps less heat. I mean to save the money and invest it into a concurrent platform. If you had disposable income, then sure go ahead but your thread seems like you're trying to make an informed decision whereby any funds you're going to use can be recuperated over a long period of time.

I'd also advise against getting 2x8GB sticks since they will be higher density and came to be after a couple of years after the 2nd Gen was released, read more like the 4th Gen Intel platform, so higher...

Lutfij

Titan
I don't think it'd be a worthwhile investment, not a platform that old. If you do get a good deal on a 4x4GB DDR3-1600Mhz kit, then go for it, but for the cost of that DDR3 kit, I'm sure you're up the alley with a DDR4 ram kit which is faster, and dumps less heat. I mean to save the money and invest it into a concurrent platform. If you had disposable income, then sure go ahead but your thread seems like you're trying to make an informed decision whereby any funds you're going to use can be recuperated over a long period of time.

I'd also advise against getting 2x8GB sticks since they will be higher density and came to be after a couple of years after the 2nd Gen was released, read more like the 4th Gen Intel platform, so higher density rams might not work on your platform.

Also, with regards to improvements,
big...? No. Better than what you're seeing now...? Yes, probably.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS