Question Would upgrading i5-4570 to i5-9400f be beneficial or would replacing my GTX 1060 3gb with a 1070 be better for gaming?

Jan 27, 2020
Hi
Like is in my title I want to know if the upgrade from my i5-4570 to i5-9400f would be a better upgrade than my GTX 1060 3gb to a GTX 1070 8gb card. Just want to see which would be best because I'm limited on cash and I've needed an upgrade for some time.
Rest of specs ain't really that good with my i5-4570 I have 8gb ram and I can upgrade to 16 GB RAM if I buy the 9400f.
Just wanted some help from knowledgeable people in the community.
Thanks

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Can you save up some more? Your case is kind of a mixed bag.
-On one hand, if you upgrade the gpu first, you should see a decent boost in your single player titles/campaigns and can run higher graphics settings with less penalty, but your multiplayer experience won't change much due to the cpu.
-On the other hand, if you upgrade the cpu and memory first, the multiplayer experience will be smoother, and your other games should see a little bump, but not enough to warrant higher settings due to the gpu.

That's the gist of it. Which games do you want to prioritize more? Then you'll just have to upgrade the other one at a later date.

Jan 27, 2020
Can you save up some more? Your case is kind of a mixed bag.
-On one hand, if you upgrade the gpu first, you should see a decent boost in your single player titles/campaigns and can run higher graphics settings with less penalty, but your multiplayer experience won't change much due to the cpu.
-On the other hand, if you upgrade the cpu and memory first, the multiplayer experience will be smoother, and your other games should see a little bump, but not enough to warrant higher settings due to the gpu.

That's the gist of it. Which games do you want to prioritize more? Then you'll just have to upgrade the other one at a later date.
I could save up more. I play multiplayer and single player games about equally but my multiplayer I am not too worried about. Everything runs fine at that end and I get frames I am happy with. Single player games are the ones I am struggling with. They are playable but at times it freezes because of my CPU.
I was thinking of getting the I5-9400f with a gtx 1660 6gb card but i think I would get better results if I had a 1070 paired with the 9400f. I would then have to buy the 1070 second hand while I could buy the 1660 brand new.
I just want something that will be able to run for a few years without having to change anything. I've had my 4570 for 6 years without any issues and i got my 1060 2 years ago. So I decided 2020 will be the year I at least get something good.
Thank you very much for your input.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
They are playable but at times it freezes because of my CPU.
Freezing?
Like freeze, then system hang or BSOD? Freeze for a few seconds, then resumes? Or freezes then closing the application?

I was thinking of getting the I5-9400f with a gtx 1660 6gb card but i think I would get better results if I had a 1070 paired with the 9400f. I would then have to buy the 1070 second hand while I could buy the 1660 brand new.
GTX 1070 appears to be the winner: https://www.gpucheck.com/en-usd/com...i5-9400f-2-90ghz/low-vs-ultra-vs-low-vs-ultra

Jan 27, 2020
Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Have you ever monitored your resource usage while those freezes happen?
Cpu usage - EACH THREAD. Like all 4 threads maxing out at once?
Ram usage - Perhaps the 8GBs are being used up - when that happens, the system then writes temporary files to the storage drive, which is much slower than physical memory.
Gpu usage

Jan 27, 2020
I have monitored and seen that during certain parts of the game the graphics card would just it 0 and return back to normal. I looked around the internet and seen people talk about the ram being used up and it affects the graphics card. So i know my RAM is also an issue so i need to get more.
My CPU is not always at 100% constantly when gaming so idk if that affects anything. There are sometimes it does hit 100% and freezes the system and resumes again. The games this mostly happens with is Star wars Fallen Order and Need for Speed Heat. My multiplayer games like fortnite, apex and siege play fine like they should with the setup I have. I did encounter some freezes with apex and fort when playing which is the graphics card would hit zero freeze the game and resume but it seems fine now.

Last edited:
I would say look at the 1660 super. When I got my card, I looked for 1070 on eBay. But many of them were former mining cards with broken fans or coolers that were loose. Also, the pricing was 165-180 or more. For 230 you can get a brand new 1660 super. Which when you check benchmarks, they are pretty close in performance.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
The gpu getting very low, or hitting zero like that would mean that it's waiting on the cpu + ram to continue feeding it frames.
If one or both of them choke up for some reason, then it slows down the entire operation; that's why I asked about the cpu and ram usage.

The games this mostly happens with is Star wars Fallen Order and Need for Speed Heat. My multiplayer games like fortnite, apex and siege play fine like they should with the setup I have.
I figured these 2 would've been the complete opposite of one another, since the multiplayers tend to be more cpu demanding than the single player modes/campaigns.

Jan 27, 2020
I would say look at the 1660 super. When I got my card, I looked for 1070 on eBay. But many of them were former mining cards with broken fans or coolers that were loose. Also, the pricing was 165-180 or more. For 230 you can get a brand new 1660 super. Which when you check benchmarks, they are pretty close in performance.
Thanks was thinking this as well. The 1660 super is a newer card and i can get it brand new instead of second hand. The 1070s ive seen as well were mining cards.

Jan 27, 2020
Oh I see so with all this information you've given me it would seem that a cpu and ram change would be the best fit at the moment. I can always get a new graphics card eventually but i think that my cpu and ram would need to be replaced more at the moment.
Thank you so much i really needed some help with this.

I figured these 2 would've been the complete opposite of one another, since the multiplayers tend to be more cpu demanding than the single player modes/campaigns.

Yeah I thought so too but it doesn't seem so in my case. I used to reset my pc because in the beginning the graphics used to run without hitting zero and everything was fine but after some time it just does the same thing.
Im very happy though to hear at least some feedback on some of my issues.
Thank you very much for your help.

Reactions: Phaaze88