[SOLVED] Would using the M.2 port directly under the GPU matter in terms of temperatures?

Cyber_Akuma

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
I have a Gigabyte Z490 Aorus Pro AX motherboard: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z490-AORUS-PRO-AX-rev-1x

Right now I have my games drive on a pair of SSDs in RAID0 (Old setup that I have been regretting doing and haven't had to money to un-do) and I would like to migrate them over to a single NVME someday, but I was wondering if which port I used would make a difference in cooling, and if it would even matter.

My board also has six SATA ports and all of them are also in use (Long story), however, two of them are being used by said SSDs that I will no longer need once I replace them with a NVME, eventually bringing me to only using a total of four of my SATA ports.

My board currently has two unused m.2 ports and both of them have a heatsink/cover from the board itself, however one of them is directly under the GPU, while the other is unobstructed but using it would disable two of my SATA ports.

While I will no longer need those ports after migrating the SSDs over to the NVME, I still would like to have them available if it's not necessary to disable them. Would there be any difference if I use the port that's directly under my GPU in terms of heating up the NVME? Or would it be better to use the other port that has nothing over it even though it will disable two of my SATA ports?

Solution
Would there be any difference if I use the port that's directly under my GPU in terms of heating up the NVME? Or would it be better to use the other port that has nothing over it even though it will disable two of my SATA ports?
There may be some heating up due to the exhaust air blowing onto the heat spreader of the NVMe, but it's not going to be enough to matter. I had a system where the NVMe drive was receiving a video card's exhaust air pretty much directly and while it idled at like 50C when I was running the game, it didn't affect the drive in any noticeable way.

Really the only problem is when the drive is being hammered with requests, which is only a problem if you're transferring a ton of small files.

Lutfij

Titan
Game drives in RAID 0 isn't a good idea, they are plenty fine as is. As for the question, keep an eye on temps using the app that is necessary for the SSD, like Samsung's Magician Tool or Adata's Toolbox, to see what tempos are at this moment of writing and when gaming,, t get a before and after. That being said, what is the make an model of the SSD's you're working with? BIOS version for motherboard listed above?

Cyber_Akuma

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
That being said, what is the make an model of the SSD's you're working with? BIOS version for motherboard listed above?

Do you mean the ones I have now? Because I haven't decided on what NVME to get to replace the SATA drives yet. And my motherboard is currently on BIOS F20 but I am going to upgrade it to F21 with the next round of upgrades.

Would there be any difference if I use the port that's directly under my GPU in terms of heating up the NVME? Or would it be better to use the other port that has nothing over it even though it will disable two of my SATA ports?
There may be some heating up due to the exhaust air blowing onto the heat spreader of the NVMe, but it's not going to be enough to matter. I had a system where the NVMe drive was receiving a video card's exhaust air pretty much directly and while it idled at like 50C when I was running the game, it didn't affect the drive in any noticeable way.

Really the only problem is when the drive is being hammered with requests, which is only a problem if you're transferring a ton of small files.

Solution