[SOLVED] Would you keep 2D MLC or 96L 3D TLC SSD?

Pextaxmx

Reputable
Jun 15, 2020
So I ended up too many 256 size 2.5" SSD's around so giving some away to my colleagues.
If you have to choose between say Crucial M550 (old planar MLC) and very modern 96L TLC like Micron 1300 which one would you keep? assuming both have low 4-5 TB written history?
Any advantage in 2D MLC over 3D TLC? Data retention maybe??

Solution
So I ended up too many 256 size 2.5" SSD's around so giving some away to my colleagues.
If you have to choose between say Crucial M550 (old planar MLC) and very modern 96L TLC like Micron 1300 which one would you keep? assuming both have low 4-5 TB written history?
I would keep and use both, until they actually died.

Do I need to choose only one?
Whichever benchmarks the faster. Keep and use until it dies.

SLC vs MLC vs TLC....mostly irrelevant. Lifespan of any of those is measured in years...decades before it runs out of write cycles.
And may die of something else altogether.

Usable lifetime is measured in capacity. 256GB - How long will that be a relevant...

USAFRet

Titan
I would keep and use both, until they actually died.

Do I need to choose only one?
Whichever benchmarks the faster. Keep and use until it dies.

SLC vs MLC vs TLC....mostly irrelevant. Lifespan of any of those is measured in years...decades before it runs out of write cycles.
And may die of something else altogether.

Usable lifetime is measured in capacity. 256GB - How long will that be a relevant size for you?

Solution