Would you please let me know if my CPU is ok or if it's overheating?

damicoae

Prominent
Feb 7, 2018
I'm afraid my CPU might be running way too hot, or maybe I have something plugged in wrong, or maybe there's some other problem.

I noticed Intel XTU was saying my "package temperature" is always between 89 C and 100 C even when I'm not doing anything and no programs are running, CPU utilization usually 2% but sometimes spiking to 8% (probably when I open a browser window to search for answers). I thought that was high, so I came here and read a few other threads where people turned their computers off around 90 C because they didn't want their processors to melt. I've been running my computer a lot since I built it last week, and I hope I'm not causing permanent damage!

Intel i5-8600K
Corsair H60 cooler

Photos with captions: https://imgur.com/a/1ckMZ

I did the H60 installation exactly like how the Corsair guy in the official installation video on YouTube did it. The CPU box thing has the hoses on the side near the RAM. (That was also the solution in another thread I found here. Someone had the hoses on the bottom, and when they rotated it to point toward the RAM, that dropped temps. That thread said it was because something was making contact with another component. As far as I can tell, everything looks clear in my build, but I'd like a second opinion.) The H60 fan is on the rear of case, blowing air outward, with radiator attached to fan. The rear fan is plugged into the CPU OPT pins near the CPU. The unit sitting atop the CPU is plugged into SYS FAN 3 PUMP pins located down at the very bottom of the motherboard.

When I click through the fan stuff in my BIOS, it looks like the CPU OPT is what's reading as 90 C, and the other fans say 25 C. CPU OPT flow rate is 24.6 L/M, RPM varies between 1k and 2k.

Sys Fan 1 is my top exhaust fan. It's often around 500 RPM. It shows a flow rate of 5.7 L/M which I thought was weird since this fan has nothing to do with liquid cooling, and isn't that what flow is about?

Sys Fan 2 is the giant intake fan on the side of the case. I can see it spinning, but the BIOS says 0 RPM. I can see it spinning, though... Also when I open the case and put my hands on either side of the fan, I can feel it's definitely pulling air in from outside and blowing the air toward the inside of the case. This fan only uses 3 of the 4 pins when it plugs in. Maybe the 4th pin is what would tell BIOS what the speed is? Or is there a possible problem here?

Sys Fan 3 Pump is where I plug in the part of the H60 that sits atop the CPU. This says 25 C, but flow rate 0 L/M. I'm not sure if this is anything to be concerned about. I cleaned the copper plate on the H60 with isopropyl alcohol and applied new thermal grease, just to make sure the connection would be good. No difference between the stock pre-applied grease and the stuff I applied myself, though.

From the information I've provided here, and the pictures in my Imgur album, can you tell whether there's any problem? Maybe everything is a nice 25 C except the radiator at the rear is what's 90 C? I'm surprised Intel XTU is showing it as ~90 C though. I just want to make sure I'm not ruining my hardware.

Thank you so much for taking the time to look at this. I really appreciate any guidance or reassurance anyone may be able to offer. Have a great day. :)

Solution
Hmm, certainly should cool better than that. I would usually say installation error here. It is quite easy to think the cooler is making decent contact with the CPU and still have it off.

A simple test: Open up the case, press down on the CPU cooler. If the temp drops, then it isn't sufficiently mounted.
You can often verify this by taking the other side panel off. Take a look at the backplate of the CPU cooler. When you press on the CPU cooler you might see a gap form between the motherboard and the backplate. If so, then you need to add washers between the motherboard and backplate to increase the clamping force.

Either that or you have a working motor but a failed pump. This would require an RMA with Corsair.

jimboraver77

Prominent
Jan 6, 2018
i have the h100i gtx and used to have the h60 from what i remember you plug in the radiator fan to the 'cpu fan' header and the pump to the 'opt fan' header, hope this helps,
im sure someone else will give you a more detailed answer.
those temps are way to high unless its a faulty sensor.
good luck

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Hmm, certainly should cool better than that. I would usually say installation error here. It is quite easy to think the cooler is making decent contact with the CPU and still have it off.

A simple test: Open up the case, press down on the CPU cooler. If the temp drops, then it isn't sufficiently mounted.
You can often verify this by taking the other side panel off. Take a look at the backplate of the CPU cooler. When you press on the CPU cooler you might see a gap form between the motherboard and the backplate. If so, then you need to add washers between the motherboard and backplate to increase the clamping force.

Either that or you have a working motor but a failed pump. This would require an RMA with Corsair.

Solution

damicoae

Prominent
Feb 7, 2018
I hooked up my H60 the way jimboraver77 suggested, and now CPU FAN and CPU OPT both read 90 C. So it was probably plugged in wrong, but my temps are still very high.

I also pressed the cooler down onto the CPU pretty firmly from the middle, and from each corner. I held for 10 seconds each time, but the temps still read 90 C the entire time. So I don't think it's a connection issue.

Thanks to you both for your suggestions. I really appreciate it. I will reach out to Corsair to get their feedback on whether I might have something faulty.

damicoae

Prominent
Feb 7, 2018
I'm pretty sure the problem was the H60 pump. I opened a support ticket with Corsair, and the warranty for the H60 is only a mere 30 days. Went to Best Buy, picked up the H100i v2, installed that, and now Intel XTU shows 29 C instead of 90 C.

Thanks everyone for your help figuring this out. :) Greatly appreciated.

Try using something like a screwdriver placed on the pump head while up and running put your ear to the handle and listen and try feeling for pump rotation while changing your speed or voltage settings.

I'm amd but 0 l/m reading would make me think the pump isn't pumping.

What thermal paste did you use.
I have 3 corsairs h110 i, h100, and h60 all have thermaltake tg7 paste.
I tried ic diamond but my temps were way too high and was not willing to wait for the paste to cure.
Some pastes take as much as 200 cycle hours to cure.

If you can you could try headers that you can max out or a cheap add in fan controller to control settings.
Hope this might help.