Would you say this is a bad cooling solution, bad OC, or did I just lose silicon lottery?

Wort

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2013
Hey guys. So I just did some OC and something really bugs me..

I tried 44x multiplier at 1.25V, but I got BSOD while booting, so I lowered it down to 43x while keeping the voltages at 1.25V. I kept Cache speed manually at 3600.

on 43x multiplier, my pc boots smoothly and I even did IntelBurnTest on HIGH, 10 times to run and it passed alright. Temperatures were pretty high. I'll just post a screenshot of results.

For cooling I use Raijintek TRITON liquid cooler, which got some pretty good reviews.

wDBhOuz.jpg

Based on the screenshot I posted, would you say that cooling solution is just bad, that my OC is garbage, or that my chip is just one of the "bad ones"?

The temperatures are already high, even on 1.25V...If I want to OC more, I need to increase voltages as well...meaning my chip would probably reach the critical temperature.

Your suggestions are really appreciated.

EDIT: Not sure how I forgot to mention this, but my CPU is i5-4670k

Also, I know that 10 runs of IntelBurnTest isn't an indication of system being stable, so I'm not even sure if my CPU can keep up with 4300Mhz at 1.25V...

baylorrulez

Honorable
Aug 22, 2012
I'm sure you know this but some of the temperature and efficiency of your cooler relies a little on the thermal paste quality and also on how you applied the thermal paste. If you had replaced an older cooler with this water cooler you have now did clean the old thermal paste off? Sorry for the simplicity of the reply, but just an idea what can cause abnormal reactions

Wort

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2013

I cleaned it completely, used 99,7% isopropyl alcohol, and then I used Noctua NT-H1 thermal paste (pea method). I used very small amount of thermal paste (size of a grain of rice), so I think that when it comes to applying thermal paste, I did everything correct. I even reinstalled water cooler 10 minutes ago and reapplied thermal paste just to make sure there's not too much/not enough thermal paste...but the results are the same

baylorrulez

Honorable
Aug 22, 2012
I see that your psu is 550w, I don't know a whole lot about over-clocking or power supplies for that matter, but it could possibly be that you're not pulling enough power, or your power supply is inefficient, I have no way in telling if this is true, or how to test for it. This is basically all I can think of for your situation, it could just be the cpu, but that'd be unfortunate, and I doubt it is. Hopefully some real oc experts find this thread.

Wort

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2013

But how could insufficient power supply cause high temperatures?

I hope somebody does find this thread, because I really don't see an option to raise my OC