Wouldn’t it be nice if manufactures agreed on an interface standard?

rodion15

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
I’ve always found it incongruous that interfaces of all types vary so abruptly among makers.

For example:

You want to change the settings for a router, and the menus, options etc are located quite differently among different brands.

Or you try go change settings for a Windows app and the way to do it is quite different between similar apps.

This discourages users from using technology.

Wouldn’t it be nice if standards were made so interfaces are as similar as possible in functionality?

Not that all interfaces should look the same, each maker may use their own styles, but that they make life easier for users.

I’d like to get opinions on this.

USAFRet

Titan
Mar 16, 2013
If they don't look the same, they're not a standard.

But the various things in there ARE standard.
DNS is always DNS
IP address is always IP address.

The box may look a little bit different, but the one labeled "IP address" is just that.

Colif

Win 10 Master
They do it to be different.

If everything looks the same it can be difficult to know what you are using. Take Chrome & Edge now, they are almost identical if you go to the same site in both, its difficult to tell which one you are in without looking at menus

I mostly use 1 browser but if I swap to other, its only when i go to sites I am not logged into on it that its obvious.

I don't want everything to be the same, already enough fake choices.. android or apple... choice? one or other or nothing. thats not choice. That is the illusion of choice.

rodion15

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
This is something I think a lot about. The MASSIVE waste of time and energy this implies to us humans. I feel this is something that will be overcome with time, same as the first cars made, placed the accelerator, brakes and hand brake in crazily different places till there was a standard. An Audi and a BMW didn't lose any of its beauty because they agreed to an interface.
All this disparity in interfaces is mostly unjustified in my view (when it is justified, then it will get applause).

To us IT folks this may be of benefit, more jobs for us due to the unnecessary complexity this implies.
Just my opinion. Thanks for your answers.

USAFRet

Titan
Mar 16, 2013
This is something I think a lot about. The MASSIVE waste of time and energy this implies to us humans. I feel this is something that will be overcome with time, same as the first cars made, placed the accelerator, brakes and hand brake in crazily different places till there was a standard. An Audi and a BMW didn't lose any of its beauty because they've agreed to an interface.
All this disparity in interfaces is mostly unjustified in my view (when it is justified, then it will get applause).

To us IT folks this may be of benefit, more jobs for us due to the unnecessary complexity this implies.
Just my opinion. Thanks for your answers.
Gas, brake, clutch is standard.

Nothing else is. Parking brake? My F-150 is different than my Mini.
Turn signals are mostly the same, but head light switches, wiper controls, audio controls....all different.

Why should an Apple interface look exactly like a Windows interface?

Phone/tablet vs PC? Completely different. MS tried that with Win 8, and it failed badly.

Should Windows VideoEditor look exactly like Adobe Premier Pro? Why?

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS