Question Wouldn't a little fire be fun? (idk what to do for my cpu)

Vozenger

Commendable
Nov 29, 2020
Hello, so in light of recent events, I've been looking to give my old pc a very small upgrade so I at least can stop playing games like a cave man, I bought an RX 570 at a reasonable 40$ and now im looking for a new CPU.

My current CPU is a Pentium G3250, which may seem pathetical but it has gotten me through hard times (surprisingly), my natural upgrade for taking into consideration my GPU would be a 4th gen i5, here's where it gets tricky:
My instant pick after reviewing the CPUs of that generation was the i5 4570S, the problem here is that i can't seem to find one in my city, what i DID find was is the Non "S" version of it, normally i would've just purchased it out the blue, but then i thought, can I cool this thing?

My current CPU Fan is a very weak CoolerMaster one, it resembles a normal Intel stock cooler, just slightly more slient. Which after a brief Google search, is rated to cool 65w TDP max, the Pentium's TDP is 51w iirc, so it's fine, the i5 4570S would be on the line since its TDP is 65w, however the Non S model's TDP is 80 something.

So there's my doubt, would I be risking thermal throttling and whatever else not by buying the Non S model? Will it be just fine? Should I keep looking for the S model?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Get a new CPU cooler too?

Also, try and track down an i7-4770 or i7-4771 or i7-4790. Might as well get it going as fast as you can. There are S and T version of those chips as well, but they are usually found inside SFF PCs anyway.

65W rated cooler is probably going to do fine on a 65W chip or even an 84W rated chip. Chances are good you are not going to fully load the CPU anyway.

Vozenger

Commendable
Nov 29, 2020
Well, i dont want to spend more then 35$ on the cpu, ive been mostly looking throughout Facebook Marketplace as it seems to have the most amount of deals, and trust me, I would really just buy a new Cooler, but its simply out of boundaries for me right now

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
A few i7-4790 around that price on ebay right now.

Even a 4790S for $36.

4770 and 4770k are far more abundant, and some are sitting with little time remaining for under $20

4770S buy it now, $37