WOW!! Gvim keeps getting better!!!

ches111

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
I just wanted to throw this out there for those Linux geeks working on windows based platforms.

A true VI editor in Windows!!

The new GVIM release 7.0 is very very stable/good.

You can download it here for free: http://www.vim.org/download.php

Also, this LINK!! is very helpful in its use. I have never seen such a comprehensive list of commands/useage.

VERY POWERFUL!!

For those of you that have not used Linux/UNIX you may want to pick this up and learn it since it can easily shorten work loads while reviewing log files, it also has templates for nearly ALL things like HTML, XML, VXML, C, C++, Scripting languages and the like...

Sorry if this is redundant to someone elses posts just thought I would share. I have used VIM and GVIM in the past but they were not up to this level.. NOW it is truly a great product.

drcroubie

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2006
I've never used GVim on linux, only regular Vi/Vim. how's it compare to the text-mode versions?

I may have to try it out at work, i've got the only windoze box, and have to putty into other machines and use vim from them. Or if i'm writing stuff locally, it's, ummm... *shudder* ... notepad...

thx, will investigate.

ches111

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
It is actually as good as/maybe better than the vi/vim editors on Linux.

I say this only because of (It has the standard windows interface for file open/save). This is nice since you do not have to navigate through directories via typing. The graphical selection (just like any others windoze prog) works within this and is easy to work a split on.

ches111

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
I use Putty and HummingBirds Exceed depending on which box I am on.

It is really nice to work in a similar editor throughout (as long as you do not need to read .doc formatted files "real text files only").