WoW installer blue screen crash

Horizonz5

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
have a slight issue with a blue screen crash when I'm running the World of Warcraft installer to download the latest expansion. First I set it to compatibility of Windows XP SP2. Then I run it as Admin. Finally, I run it with Antivirus and firewall software disabled. If any one can share some light on this it'll be helpful.

I'm running Vista 64-bit premium and the antivirus software is Norton Internet Security. Thx.

Horizonz5

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
wow! everyone keeps telling me that. norton is a sneaky one from what ppl tell me. it's running in the background w/o my knowledge even do i set it not to. someone said that it might be causing the blue screen of death.

MGDJoker

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
I've seen Norton screw up more things that it fixes. As being a Computer Service Tech for several years I have seen that retarded program mess up so much stuff its disgusting.

Well at least its not as bad as CA antivirus. But still ,Norton is on my shitlist.

Horizonz5

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
Good to know. i feel norton is too much of a mainstream software. never had a problem until recently. i'm either switching to AVG or Trend Micro. I've heard some great reviews of trend micro.

Horizonz5

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
DL AVG. will look for third-party firewall. don't trust windows firewall. if ne one knows a good one let me know. thx.

oh and what's your opinion on Firefox? i like IE7 but doesn't feel safe to me.

IE is fine... security begins and ends with the end-user. Lots of people like to point fingers at IE being less than secure, yet I never have an issue. If IE is as bad as they say, then shouldn't I also be having my share of problems?

Horizonz5

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009

i have never as well. in a report. Firefox consumed less memory than IE7. If the scenario calls for being conservative i'll switch over.

but i'm aiming towards google chrome. i'll let you know the verdict. thx.

i'll like to try new things and seek more opportunities for pc usage.

Horizonz5

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
btw WoW installed just fine. A few blue screen crashes afterwards but i took some advice on terminating the Norton process that runs secretly in the background even when norton was turned off. i checked task manager.