WoW , look what i did to my gpu , it might be interesting

jimmyEatWord

Respectable
Mar 10, 2016
so i basically salvaged my 2 x 120 mm cpu cooler fans

and i took of this weak crappy asus fan over the gpu heatsink :

20zur8o.jpg

and i replaced them with the 2 120 mm fans (with duct tape)

and it ended up looking like this :

sz91co.jpg

it works! it produces some noise but it's not nasty

so can you recommend me some gpu monitoring tools , gpuZ ? so i can monitor the temperature ?
and maybe play some black ops 3 to see if it really works ??!

what do you suggest ? i wanna keep it this way , i don't wanna go back to the crappy asus fans , btw i connected the fans to the chassis fan 1 and 2 on the motherboard

Solution
It should be ok, if both the fans have four pin headers and you can attach each to a fan header of your motherboard.
And you use a software app like AI suite to control the chassis fan speeds simply set a fan profile up. if you have an Asus motherboard.

In fact I have a 7970 card with an adapter cable, and a icy gelid revision cooler on the card and can use the chassis fan connector on the motherboard. Or the fan header of the graphics card it`s self.

Set at about 46% rpm via the chassis fan connector of the motherboard it keeps the card under heavy gaming and load at around 60c max in temps.

In fact looking at the fan blades of both the fans other than them being a slightly bigger diameter than the Icy gelid the fans look much the...
Those original fans work to adjust speed to laod because they are controlled by the heat sensors on the cards PCB. By connecting them to the MoBo, you have lost any semblance of appropriate speed control. With the loss of the shroud, the efficiency of the cooling will have a very negative effect on cooling since much air will come the large open areas at the edges. You may be able to overcome it with significantly more rpm tho it's hard to discern w/o the relative ratings of each fan.

It should be ok, if both the fans have four pin headers and you can attach each to a fan header of your motherboard.
And you use a software app like AI suite to control the chassis fan speeds simply set a fan profile up. if you have an Asus motherboard.

In fact I have a 7970 card with an adapter cable, and a icy gelid revision cooler on the card and can use the chassis fan connector on the motherboard. Or the fan header of the graphics card it`s self.

Set at about 46% rpm via the chassis fan connector of the motherboard it keeps the card under heavy gaming and load at around 60c max in temps.

In fact looking at the fan blades of both the fans other than them being a slightly bigger diameter than the Icy gelid the fans look much the same as on a Icy gelid gpu cooler. in relation to the shape of the blades and the pitch the blades are set at.

All the same I would keep an eye on the gpu temps but it looks ok to me, Jimmy for a self mod of the fans and cooler of the card.
Pretty neat !.

Solution

What am I missing ? The fan curve,as with any curve, has a X and Y axis

On the Y Axis, we normally have % of speed
On the X axis, we normally have the temperature of the thing we have the fan on

How is the MoBo reading GPU temperature ? Since it can't read the GPU temps, of what use is the fan curve ?

Also, it it's a modern 9xx series card, the ability to turn off the fans below 65C when they serve no purpose is lost.

i know asus discontinued the OC software for this card i have ..

1. They didn't
http://www.asus.com/supportonly/ASUS%20GPU%20Tweak%20for%20Graphics%20cards/HelpDesk_Download/

2. Any OC Software will work, it is not card specific

Fans always serve a purpose....having the fans off at anything under 65c is fine for someone not overclocking, or wanting higher boost clocks, but....that's the first thing I killed on my 970s when I got them.

You will note that Asus MoBo software includes the ability to shut off fans when not needed. And the same remains with the GPU, regardless of whether you GPU / CPU is over clocked... it is running downclocked at idle. Your 4.5 Ghz CPU is running at 800 Hz when idle. ... your 1500 Mhz OC is running at 350 Mhz when typing on this forum. So, no, killing the fan turn off feature accomplished nothing at all. Overclocked or not, it still runs ate the same low speed when under light loads. Looking now, my twin GPUs w/ 26% overclock are at 30C, fans are off ... my CPU (4.6 GHz OC ) cores are sitting at 31C .. all case fans are turned off as I am typing this message (CPU at 0.798 GHz) and will remain off until,CPU temps hit 40C.

Yes you can turn off the power saving features of your GPU and CPU and run them 100% OC by disabling the power saving features of both, but again this does nothing for you. You can also drive on the highway with your car in 1st gear and tach at 6500 rpm for all you trips but I wouldn't recommend it.

What is it you think you are gaining by having your fans on when your card is at 33C

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/geforce_gtx_970_sli_review,5.html

Vellinious

Honorable
Dec 3, 2013

By turning off the power saving features on the fans, or, at a minimum, lowering the temps in which they kick back on, you can gain clock speed. The lower the temps that the Maxwell cards run at, the higher the boost clock. For someone with air cooling, taking this into account would affect performance quite a bit. Especially if fans aren't kicking on until 65c....

If you're not overclocking....or expecting / wanting higher boost clocks, then it really wouldn't matter. But....I expect more out of my hardware, and push it to deliver.