Wow--New Black Edition Phenom Next Week-- Comments?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cnumartyr

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007

Althought my comment may have seemed to be bashing, this is what I was hoping for. Black Edition Phenoms will be the reason I go back to AMD (rather than the 8x locked Q9450 or Nehalem with 3 sockets). If they are successful and they get the B3 out the door I can't wait... I just hope they do bring back the Quad FX platform for the BE Phenoms.

I like both companies, I just think the B2 Phenom is a complete disappointment, I hope for more from the B3.

intelamduser

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2004

Kamrooz

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007

Hmmm, that's funny..I remember reading a ES Barcelona sample dying off, a 3ghz sample, they couldn't even finish the benchmarks. I'll attempt to find that article again, although it was quite early on.

Release products as advertised?...rofl...

Claims of a 40% increase in performance over core?..meanwhile a 2.6 phenom can't even beat a 2.4 q6600. You're full of it. Normally I would agree about the "If you don't have anything positive to say, don't" phrase. But when you yourself spread lies and deception among all your posts, sorry, we will have something negative to say.

As always, fud, better yet, based on your posts, If you don't have any real advice to give to others besides biased opinions, don't. Running through your past posts, it's amazing how you ignorantly recommend the Phenom without even stating the issues at hand, that is not helping those asking for help, it's misguiding them with your bias and ignorant ways.

Slobogob

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006

Your very statement is provoking and will turn this thread into whatever the last one turned into.
While i find your unfailing optimism inspiring, it is uncalled for to limit this thread to AMD praises since the situation right now obviously looks otherwise.
Additionally i would find it more helpful of you to include links if you post things like "No, this very site had an ES (unlocked) that ran stable at 3GHz and several other places easily got to 3GHz. Only Anand got lower but I believe he had a retail chip (locked).". I for one am honestly interested in information about the Phenom processor and its capabilites. For all i know the chip tested by THG was an ES and could have been hand picked for the press. The only other thorough article i read was on anandtech and the overclocking shown there was nothing short of a debacle.

jerseygamer

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2007

Whats the difference if you get better performance per $?

cnumartyr

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007

I will say this.. if that was true I'd be all for it, but it's not priced versus Intel's Q line up for price/performance at the moment. If you start talking about the value of overclocking it's even less of a deal since most Q6600s can do at a minimum of 3.0 GHz.

Also for some people it's not about price/performance, it's just about price OR performance.

Kamrooz

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
You don't get better performance with a unlocked multiplier black edition. You just have the ability to overclock with a unlocked multiplier, But, the phenoms aren't capable of clocking far atm due to architectural issues.

azfj60

Distinguished
May 3, 2007

Not in any real quantity :sweat:

Kamrooz

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
It takes a bit of effort, more than 2 weeks. To manufacture a large amount takes a while, they also need to make sure no new problems are being created with their new stepping. You never know what can happen.

accord99

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2004
B3s won't arrive for a couple of months at least:

Instead, AMD is preparing a hardware fix in the next revision of the chip, dubbed B3. Future revisions of the Phenom, including the planned Phenom 9700 model at 2.4GHz and the 9900 at 2.6GHz, will include the fix. AMD plans to replace the current Phenom 9500 and 9600 models with new 9550 and 9650 models, based on the B3 chip, as well. Saucier's best estimate for the arrival of B3 chips is "mid to late Q1" next year.

http://www.techreport.com/discussions.x/13724

yomamafor1

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007

I will participate if there's misinformation involved. For your reference, there has only been one site who got their Phenom to 3.0Ghz, with 1.5Vcore. So there was no "one very site who has 3.0Ghz stable, along with other 3.0Ghz chips". There has always been one.

http://news.expreview.com/2007-10-29/1193590532d6599.html

TBH, my opinion will never change, regardless of what they say. Only if they start showing solid proofs, then I'll change my opinion.

yomamafor1

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007

Not trying to shoot you down, but Fudzilla isn't the most reliable news source around. I would believe what TechReport said, which B3 is due in Q1 of 08.

justinmcg67

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007

Would you mind citing that article for me? Seems like an interesting read.

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005

'Had' implies possession... This very site was allowed to participate in an AMD stage-managed event, and with AMD minders watching their every move...

Anand Lal Shimpi, on the other hand, got rather upset over that arrangement, and refused to participate. So he got a sample delivered to Anand's labs, where they could in no way match what happened at other sites that went to Tahoe... All very interesting.

And heat. A 3.6 GHz Q6600 pulls somewhere around 200 watts, depending on voltage.

I read the thread and I saw nothing about stable chips at those speeds.
A few talking about booting. A few saying briefly "Prime Stable".

That too. A chip has to be rock-solid at a shipped speed. Intel tried to ship a partially-stable chip once, the 1.13 GHz PIII Coppermine, and was handed its butt for doing so.

And to those curious about steppings, AMD already said they do not expect to have the B3 available until late Q1. So, no, this is not a chip that has the L3 erratta fixed. I'm not sure they have even figured out how to do that well yet. Remember, this erratta is one of the main reasons they kept reducing speeds.

They also cut the NB speed to try and fix it.
The linked article talks alot about how the chip really suffers under NB under 2.0.

Now, by supplying lots of power and lots of chipset cooling, they did get higher NB speeds, but again this is more along the lines of extreme cooling.

Enthusiasts will overclock the sucker and their increase of the clock and voltage will be less stable than whatever the L3 TLB bug could do. Kernel panics/BSODs and random lockups and failures to boot are the norm with this group; they will not give a flying fart about the TLB bug if it *might* bite them once over the year they have the CPU. Plus, the overclockers will raise NB speeds as well, giving the chip a performance boost. If they can get them to clock high enough, it might end up being a very good and relatively inexpensive setup, especially if they want to have a good and inexpensive CrossFire GPU setup, which works best on the 790FX chipset. It might not beat somebody's QX9650 in CPU tests, but it'll be a heck of a lot cheaper and probably perform just as well in games.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

Oh boy, i can buy a piece of crap that will overheat and error out...or...just buy a INTEL cpu and outperform it WITHOUT even overclocking. There is NO reason to get a Phenom PERIOD.
Amd would have to change and rebuild it to perform a good 20% (and actually beat the SLOWEST Intel Quad) to become even considered to be bought.
So much for any upgrade for me by cpu. Looks like i'll have to do the motherboard and cpu to get better performance. Pretty pathetic when my overclocked X2 whips the CRAP out of any Phenom cpu.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

I'm not praising AMD, I'm saying that CRAP happens. I say, it will improve, you say For all i know the chip tested by THG....

It's just sickening.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

Again, you state something you couldn't possibly know. THAT'S FUD. Be afraid, be uncertain, have doubts.

WR

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
Enthusiasts will overclock the sucker and their increase of the clock and voltage will be less stable than whatever the L3 TLB bug could do. Kernel panics/BSODs and random lockups and failures to boot are the norm with this group; they will not give a flying fart about the TLB bug if it *might* bite them once over the year they have the CPU. Plus, the overclockers will raise NB speeds as well, giving the chip a performance boost. If they can get them to clock high enough, it might end up being a very good and relatively inexpensive setup, especially if they want to have a good and inexpensive CrossFire GPU setup, which works best on the 790FX chipset.
I'd like to think any instability with a chip is resolvable by a simple clock speed adjustment that still results in good performance for the value, better than I initially paid for.

If a chip is buggy to the point that a set of code repeatedly crashes it, that's a loss of functionality with my computer. That's why K10 B2 stands out as a red flag to me. It's like I have to underclock it sometimes if worried about stability.

justinmcg67

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007
While I'm not stating a Black Edition Phenom would be a bad thing; I am going to instead say that a Black Edition product seems premature, whereas an FX lineup would have seemed more plausible. Or is the Black Edition series lower than the FX series, or is the Black Edition series the new FX?

Either way I still note that it's to soon for an enthusiast product, be it FX or Black Edition. Granted that it would put the highest performaing Phenom product substantially higher in price than it's Core 2 Quad Q6600 competitor.