Wow--New Black Edition Phenom Next Week-- Comments?

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

coret

Distinguished
May 29, 2007
If you want it to be optional, email motherboard makers and ask them to make bios versions with and without the TLB fix. Or as was mentioned, just don't update your bios past a certain point...

ro3dog

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006

There is a fix for this ;)

You can disable the TLB correction in the AOD panel and you are back to "normal."

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
The TLB erratum will probably never be seen by most consumers, but in the server arena its a different matter. Details below:

254 Internal Resource Livelock Involving Cached TLB Reload
Description
Under a highly specific and detailed set of conditions, an internal resource livelock may occur
between a TLB reload and other cached operations.
Potential Effect on System
The system may hang.
Suggested Workaround
BIOS should apply the workaround based on the extended model, base model, and stepping reported
by CPUID Fn8000_0001 as described in the following table:
Fix Planned
Yes
CPUID
Fn8000_0001_EAX[19:16]
(Extended Model)
CPUID
Fn8000_0001_EAX[7:4]
(Base Model)
CPUID
Fn8000_0001_EAX[3:0]
(Stepping)
HWCR[3]
(MSRC001_0015h)
BU_CFG[1]
(MSRC001_1023h)
BU_CFG[21]
(MSRC001_1023h)
0h 2h Ah 0b 0b 1b
0h 2h 2h 0b 0b 1b

(sorry, its a cut and paste from a pdf....)

Our server engineers report that it is very prevelant using any type of virtualization, and also shows up under heavy DB usage. As such, we won't be looking at this chip before the B3, and will test the hell out of it again. On the positive side, the cores do scale well, 8P performs as well as or better than 4P, and 16P scales better than 8P. On the negative side, it's power hungry and also BTU hungry.

Our preliminary Xeon tests are due to start, hopefully, next month.

azfj60

Distinguished
May 3, 2007

? :heink: So what are you suggesting? You won't install the patch on your Phenom? Or that the bread-and-butter customers that account for a large % of AMD's revenue shouldn't install it? That AMD goofed up by implementing a debilitating fix? Rest assured that these discussions all took place at AMD long before any one of us heard anything about a TLB errata...

homerdog

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007

So you must use Overdrive to fix it. Interesting. Will this fix be available to all Phenom compatible motherboards?

irhealx0r

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2007
i have already got a black processor 5000 but iit is maxed at 2ghz even though its suposed to be unclcoked and 2.6 or better, but it maxes at 2ghz so dont get theyre new one or it will probably have thes ame trouble or worse!!!! get intel inside!!!! also i have a post if someone else has a amd black already and is mad about this see my post its in this website

coret

Distinguished
May 29, 2007

1. If/when I get one I would not put the patch on.
2. I don't think consumers should be forced to have the patch but instead actually have an option. At the moment, it's kinda hit and miss depending on your motherboard as to whether there are bios versions which support the phenoms but don't have the fix enabled. For the record, Kyle Bennett on Hardocp recently stated he's been running a phenom @ 3GHz for "weeks" without having any issues.
3. AMD goofed up by not bringing this news out correctly - the way the information was released led to it being blown out of proportion.