WoW on an SLI setup?

Are there known issues with running WoW on an SLI setup machine?

I've just built my new PC;

Athlon64 4000+
2GB 2-2-2-5 RAM
2 x Asus N6800GT

Average FPS on full detail at 1280x1024 is around 40fps. (About 30fps
in and around busy towns and up to 60fps in the wilderness or in
dungeons)

This seems a bit low. nVidia say on their driver release that Warcraft
can perform slow on nVidia hardware which can be resolved by switching
off Full Screen Glow effect and VSync but these don't make a difference.

I can run HL2 at 100-200fps on maximum settings but WoW runs with very
little improvement over my old P4 3GHz 9800 Pro system.

Anybody else have an SLI setup out there who would care to post their
experiences with WoW?
--
Stoneskin

My personal army of Sash Crackers on Sunstrider are...

Necrofear - lvl 52 Undead Priest
Jericho - lvl 19 Undead Mage
Relinquished - lvl 16 Undead Warlock
Jigen - lvl 12 Orc Rogue
Wartorn - lvl 11 Tauren Warrior
Nightmane - lvl 2 Tauren Druid

"Stoneskin" <no@thanks.com> wrote in message
> Are there known issues with running WoW on an SLI setup machine?
>
> I've just built my new PC;
>
> Athlon64 4000+
> 2GB 2-2-2-5 RAM
> 2 x Asus N6800GT
>
> Average FPS on full detail at 1280x1024 is around 40fps. (About 30fps
> in and around busy towns and up to 60fps in the wilderness or in
> dungeons)
>
> This seems a bit low. nVidia say on their driver release that Warcraft
> can perform slow on nVidia hardware which can be resolved by switching
> off Full Screen Glow effect and VSync but these don't make a difference.
>
> I can run HL2 at 100-200fps on maximum settings but WoW runs with very
> little improvement over my old P4 3GHz 9800 Pro system.
>
> Anybody else have an SLI setup out there who would care to post their
> experiences with WoW?
> --
> Stoneskin
>
> My personal army of Sash Crackers on Sunstrider are...
>
> Necrofear - lvl 52 Undead Priest
> Jericho - lvl 19 Undead Mage
> Relinquished - lvl 16 Undead Warlock
> Jigen - lvl 12 Orc Rogue
> Wartorn - lvl 11 Tauren Warrior
> Nightmane - lvl 2 Tauren Druid

IMO a SLI setup is a waste of money & I do not think it would raise your FPS
much if at all. Those FPS numbers (at full detail!) are not bad for a MMO.
I have not checked mine & I don't remember seeing any numbers out there, so
I can't compare. Did you use FRAPS or does WoW have a way to check FPS?

Your not doing so bad, check out these numbers:

http://hardware.gamespot.com/Story-ST-x-1304-x-x-x

http://www.anandtech.com/printarticle.aspx?i=2381

If you dig I am sure you can find an honest benchmark with SLI.

Bruin left a note on my windscreen which said:

> IMO a SLI setup is a waste of money & I do not think it would raise your FPS

Well, I'd rather avoid the whole 'is SLI worth it' discussion so I'll
move directly to...

> much if at all. Those FPS numbers (at full detail!) are not bad for a MMO.
> I have not checked mine & I don't remember seeing any numbers out there, so
> I can't compare. Did you use FRAPS or does WoW have a way to check FPS?

Don't get me wrong - I'm not disappointed with the performance. On this
rig 30fps is when the system is bogging down, trying to load in
Orgrimmar etc.

Every slider is maxed, including multi-sampling, and running on a res of
1280x1024 since that's my maximum res.

> Your not doing so bad, check out these numbers:
>
> http://hardware.gamespot.com/Story-ST-x-1304-x-x-x
>
> http://www.anandtech.com/printarticle.aspx?i=2381
>

> If you dig I am sure you can find an honest benchmark with SLI.

Some very handy links - TYVM. :)
--
Stoneskin

My personal army of Sash Crackers on Sunstrider are...

Necrofear - lvl 52 Undead Priest
Jericho - lvl 19 Undead Mage
Relinquished - lvl 16 Undead Warlock
Jigen - lvl 12 Orc Rogue
Wartorn - lvl 11 Tauren Warrior
Nightmane - lvl 2 Tauren Druid

"Stoneskin" <no@thanks.com> wrote:

> Are there known issues with running WoW on an SLI setup machine?

From the little I know about SLI, it's a pure hardware thingie. I guess
WoW shouldn't even know you have an SLI system.

> I've just built my new PC;
>
> Athlon64 4000+
> 2GB 2-2-2-5 RAM
> 2 x Asus N6800GT

Congrats :eek:)

> Average FPS on full detail at 1280x1024 is around 40fps. (About 30fps
> in and around busy towns and up to 60fps in the wilderness or in
> dungeons)

Athlon64 3500+, 2GB RAM, 1x MSI 6800 GT here. Resolution is
1152*idontknow, everything maxed, except AA and AF. I have about 30-35
FPS in Orgrimmar, sometimes it drops to about 20 when loading stuff.
Up to 90 in dungeons. However, that AA/AF stuff will decrease a SICK
amount of your fps, with low to none improvements to the actual look.
Especially in their higher versions (4x or 8x). I'd reduce the AA/AF
settings (if possible, I don't even know) a bit.

Chris, and this evening, I'm replacing my 5 year old peacock 17" CRT
with a nice 19" BENQ FP937s+ TFT :)

--
[WoW] Wildcard - Treehugging Tauren (45) on EN Sunstrider [PvP]
Wildcard - Treehugging Tauren (29) on DE Proudmoore [PvE]

Christian Stauffer left a note on my windscreen which said:

> > Average FPS on full detail at 1280x1024 is around 40fps. (About 30fps
> > in and around busy towns and up to 60fps in the wilderness or in
> > dungeons)
>
> Athlon64 3500+, 2GB RAM, 1x MSI 6800 GT here. Resolution is
> 1152*idontknow, everything maxed, except AA and AF. I have about 30-35
> FPS in Orgrimmar, sometimes it drops to about 20 when loading stuff.
> Up to 90 in dungeons. However, that AA/AF stuff will decrease a SICK
> amount of your fps, with low to none improvements to the actual look.
> Especially in their higher versions (4x or 8x). I'd reduce the AA/AF
> settings (if possible, I don't even know) a bit.

I think I did play with those settings before and did get another 15fps
from the game. Personally I think this game is much more cpu bound and
so there really will be very little benefit to SLI

> Chris, and this evening, I'm replacing my 5 year old peacock 17" CRT
> with a nice 19" BENQ FP937s+ TFT :)

Nice. :eek:)
--
Stoneskin

My personal army of Sash Crackers on Sunstrider are...

Necrofear - lvl 52 Undead Priest
Jericho - lvl 19 Undead Mage
Relinquished - lvl 16 Undead Warlock
Jigen - lvl 12 Orc Rogue
Wartorn - lvl 11 Tauren Warrior
Nightmane - lvl 2 Tauren Druid

>> I've just built my new PC;
>>
>> Athlon64 4000+
>> 2GB 2-2-2-5 RAM
>> 2 x Asus N6800GT
>>
>> Average FPS on full detail at 1280x1024 is around 40fps. (About 30fps
>> in and around busy towns and up to 60fps in the wilderness or in
>> dungeons)
>>
>> This seems a bit low. nVidia say on their driver release that Warcraft
>> can perform slow on nVidia hardware which can be resolved by switching
>> off Full Screen Glow effect and VSync but these don't make a difference.
>>
>> I can run HL2 at 100-200fps on maximum settings but WoW runs with very
>> little improvement over my old P4 3GHz 9800 Pro system.
>>
>> Anybody else have an SLI setup out there who would care to post their
>> experiences with WoW?
>> --
>
> IMO a SLI setup is a waste of money & I do not think it would raise your
> FPS much if at all. Those FPS numbers (at full detail!) are not bad for
> a MMO. I have not checked mine & I don't remember seeing any numbers out
> there, so I can't compare. Did you use FRAPS or does WoW have a way to
> check FPS?
>
> Your not doing so bad, check out these numbers:
>
> http://hardware.gamespot.com/Story-ST-x-1304-x-x-x
>
> http://www.anandtech.com/printarticle.aspx?i=2381

Athlon 3500+, 4GB, ATI ePCI 800XL card, Raptor 74G drive. Dell 20" wide
(1920 x 1050) getting about 70fps most places, drops to 40fps in IF on
Agramarr. Not sure why your numbers would be so low. Unless the RAM and the
raptor drive make that much of a difference................ I am running
with everything turned up including AA.