[SOLVED] WoW shadowlands

Aug 15, 2020
Hello,
I'm planning on spending up too $1,250 on a prebuilt rig for world of warcraft shadowlands

Dell XPS MT 8940
i5 10400
GTX 1660 SUPER 6GB GDDR6
1x 16gb 2666mhz
512gb M.2 NVMe
500w psu

Or an Asus rog

What do y'all think of the dell xps? Pretty sure they are well established, and those specs

Any chance of it getting too hot?
Ty

Aug 15, 2020
Thanks for reply, ok cool ty, I will definitely do dual channel
I will message a sales rep and ask about the cpu cooler ty!
Buying directly from Dell btw

What do you think of the xps series? Sir

Aug 15, 2020
Does asus have better customer service than dell?
I know asus motherboards are the rolzroyce of brands, or at least I've heard
Asus rog might be the better option for me

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
the cpu cooler is "symphony"
:??:
I've never heard of this before. Was it that hard for the rep to answer you with:
-it's a top-down area cooler, which would've been the stock one
-it's an aftermarket tower cooler
-it's a liquid cooler

Does asus have better customer service than dell?
LOL, no!

I know asus motherboards are the rolzroyce of brands, or at least I've heard
Asus rog might be the better option for me
Asus ROG is overpriced 'meh'. Their marketing team does a bloody good job spicing their premium brand up, though!
The motherboards are the best thing Asus has, IMO; one of the most user-friendly bios UIs - if you like to tinker with that kind of stuff. If not, you're not really missing anything then.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Gaming Chassis: CyberPowerPC ONYXIA II 242W High Air-Flow Mid-Tower Gaming Case w/ Front & Side Tempered Glass (Black Color)
Case Fans: 6X 120mm Phanteks SK120 Digital RGB PWM FAN - high airflow nine-blade 500-1500 RPM Radiator Fans
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6GHz [4.2GHz Turbo] 6 Cores/ 12 Threads 35MB Cache 65W Processor
CPU / Processor Cooling Fan: Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition CPU Cooler w/ PWM fan - Efficient Cooling Performance
Motherboard: ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS ATX w/ RGB, 2.5 Gigabit LAN, 2 PCIe x16, 3 PCIe x1, 6 SATA3, 2 M.2 SATA/PCIe
RAM / System Memory: 16GB (8GBx2) DDR4/3200MHz Dual Channel Memory (GSKILL Ripjaws V)
Video Card: AMD Radeon™ RX 5600 XT 6GB GDDR6 PCIe 4.0 [Navi] (Single Card)
Power Supply: 600 Watts - EVGA 600Watts 80 Plus Gold high-efficient Power Supply
Primary Hard Drive: 500GB WD Blue SN550 Series PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD - Seq R/W: Up to 2400/1755 MB/s, Rnd R/W up to 300/240k (Single Drive)
Keyboard: CyberPowerPC Multimedia USB Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: CyberPowerPC Standard 4000 DPI with Weight System Optical Gaming Mouse

It LOOKS ok. I'm not a fan of the front panel, but that's just me - I'm having deja vu now...

Aug 15, 2020
Theoretically, if all variables are in favor in regards too the hardware never crappin out or damage etc
Think it would last seven years? Assuming i I could just play newer or revamped games at lowest graphic setting on 1080p
You know what I mean? Like I understand wear and tear
Yeah I'm about to drop 1k on a PC for shadow lands but I hope it would last another even two more expansions
Assuming the game(s) dont drastically require more processing power in next 4+ years

Ty!

Aug 15, 2020
P.s
I'm a software minimalist, I only have the minimum on my PC, and the only time I crack open the side panel is too dedust with a can of air.
I'm seeing alot of people on this forum needing help because of excessive software and hardware tinkering
Anyways hope all is well ty for the help, I think I've made up my mind on that bestbuy cyberpowerpc unless y'all disadvice

-ish

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
1)That Best Buy system is actually worse, if the specs and image are accurate:
-Ryzen stock cooler's only good enough for simple browsing and other light tasks.
-Where's the front intake on this chassis? These designs are the nemesis of gaming graphics cards.

2)The cpu is more likely to be relevant for that length of time.
The gpu? No way. Half that time is more realistic.

3)I imagine most of those folks either came from prebuilts or just jumped into the DIY space and didn't bother to do their share of research, so they then need to be walked through simple stuff that could've been dealt with solo and with less time.
That, and going too cheap in areas that'll bite them in the butt sooner or later, most notably, power supplies. Internal component quality > wattage, not the other way around.

Aug 15, 2020
if you know a website that has local offerings of diy pc builders that i could use, like my parts and they put it together
might go with that
pc part picker is pretty epic

my standards are

cpu with cores/threads that are at least 3ghz base clock (intel or amd)
gpu with at least 6gb of gddr6 with a base clock of at least 1ghz
asus mb
16+gb of ram (hopefully gskill)
at least 1tb of NVMe (preferably WD)
80+ gold psu
high airflow coolermaster case

and literally no overclocking at all

I'm looking for a pc that will last at least 6 years even if i need to set games too lowest graphical settings

ty! i'll start playing with pcpartpicker

Aug 15, 2020
if intel/nvdea will have more longevity even if i need to set graphic setting to lowest in future then id wanna go intel
id definitly want the case too have a front panel that has vents for air intake
a few extra fans is a definite

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
The first Cyberpower list you posted first was like the best one overall - it was just me being particular of the chassis design, which MAY limit your options for stronger, more power hungry options.
The front intake is like the strongest source of air for gpus, but there's been this trend of people wanting flashy, closed off, or near closed off, designs.
That leaves the bottom - oh wait, there's psu shrouds now...
So then, the rear...

i'm thinking if i go with amd cpu to stick with amd gpu for full amd build
and if i go intel cpu id go with nvdea gpu for full intel build
:D
Just go with the one that best suits your needs.
-Intel's the gaming king at the high end, but that comes with a hefty price premium - cooling premium too with their high end models. AMD's got the bang for buck, and doesn't require as exotic cooling, even on their top cpus.

-For gpus, AMD has better driver support than Nvidia over the long haul, so if you're someone who tends to run with a gpu for more than a few years at a time, this may be a plus for you.

I feel like I'm forgetting something though...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
this is a "beta" intel/nvdea build, id need help with the case, extra fans for case and cpu cooler

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/7TRDtp

thanks, i really apreciate your help
makes me wanna be active on tomshardware, ive known about the site for years just never made an account till yesterday
An 'easy' way around chassis that are preinstalled with 1 or 2 fans, is to use a 240mm or larger cpu liquid cooler, since they come with their own fans.
For example, Phanteks P300A Mesh. Just 1 preinstalled in the back. It supports a front mounted 240/280mm cooler - cool the cpu and have case fans.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
not a fan of liquid cooling, the thought of it kinda scares me
It's not that bad. The biggest downside would be needing a replacement cooler on hand once the pump on the current one breaks.
Well, the alternative would be a chassis that gives you some decent fans out of the box:
Phanteks P400A?
Corsair 465X? 220T Airflow?
Cooler Master H500?

beta amd build https://pcpartpicker.com/list/J9gVjp
beta intel/ndea build https://pcpartpicker.com/list/7TRDtp

both need case and cpu cooler plus extra case fans, then i think i'd be set :D

which do you think would last longer?
They're essentially the same. You've got a clear budget limit, and it shows with your choice of parts.

Aug 15, 2020
the cooler master H500 is awesome ty! great sudgestion, it comes with the two front fans and the rear, gonna put two 120MMs on the top,
im thinkin i'm going with the amd build

Last edited: